Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: keith_cooper on April 11, 2011, 06:13:42 am

Title: basICColor Discus
Post by: keith_cooper on April 11, 2011, 06:13:42 am
I've been having a try out of the basICColor Discus, and have written up a few notes if anyone was curious about an £800/$1200 monitor calibrator device...
basICColor Discus review (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/discus.html)

Works very well on the NEC SVR271 and even produced excellent results on my old Apple CinemaHD display.

A bit over the top for the levels of colour accuracy I require - hope the info is of use to those with deeper pockets and more stringent profiling requirements than mine ;-)
Title: Re: basICColor Discus
Post by: howardm on April 11, 2011, 08:00:57 am
Keith,

I own the software and don't care for the Basic licensing scheme either :( and certainly am not in the market for a such a class of device.

Quick question:  What *exact* version of the software shows up when you do an 'About' command?  I can see some subtle differences
between your screenshots and what the normal 4.1.22 software does.  And all you did was a vanilla download from their site?

And I agree that 'restart to validate' is annnoying but I will say that in my experience, even w/ making sure that the new profile is loaded
into ColorSync, it *does* make a difference in validation results.  You'd think they could find a better way.
Title: Re: basICColor Discus
Post by: keith_cooper on April 11, 2011, 09:30:56 am
It's V4.2.4 - apparently this has Discus support in it.  I had to make sure to get the latest to work OK
Title: Re: basICColor Discus
Post by: msbc on April 12, 2011, 04:37:07 am
It's V4.2.4 - apparently this has Discus support in it.  I had to make sure to get the latest to work OK

Keith, the latest basICColor Display on their site is 4.1.22. Can you post a link to 4.2.4?
Title: Re: basICColor Discus
Post by: keith_cooper on April 12, 2011, 05:34:34 am
I just went to their site and filled in the info to get a tryout copy - 4.2.4 was what turned up, so I don't have a direct link - why not ask them?

They also have a version of the NEC Spectraview software that works with the Discus, but I didn't get a chance to test that (only had the SVR271 for a short while)
Title: Re: basICColor Discus
Post by: howardm on April 13, 2011, 08:13:50 am
I just sent an email to them inquiring about that and will let you know.
Title: Re: basICColor Discus
Post by: msbc on April 13, 2011, 08:27:01 am
I just sent an email to them inquiring about that and will let you know.

So did I :-)
Title: Re: basICColor Discus
Post by: howardm on April 13, 2011, 09:36:04 am
their response........

the version 4.2.x is just an interims version for basICColor DISCUS costumers.
We are working on basICColor display 5 which will include all the features of the ver. 4.2.
Right now I can't tell you when display 5 will be released. Hopefully it will be in the first half of this year.


I'm sure they'll give me the opportunity to spend 50% new or something to upgrade  :-\