Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on April 06, 2011, 07:34:34 pm

Title: The reader
Post by: armand on April 06, 2011, 07:34:34 pm
in Miami, Dec 2008
Title: Re: The reader
Post by: John R Smith on April 07, 2011, 03:44:47 am
Armand

I don't see a lot that's wrong with this, and there is a lot to like. It's a wonderful tree, and you have framed the shot really well. The open book is acting as a reflector, and is bouncing a little fill light back into the face of the young woman - I don't know if you posed the shot like this, but either way that was a neat trick.

The only (very picky) problem I have is that the subject's hair is rather too dark for it to separate nicely from the low values in the tree behind.

John
Title: Re: The reader
Post by: stamper on April 07, 2011, 04:03:12 am
Armand

I don't see a lot that's wrong with this, and there is a lot to like. It's a wonderful tree, and you have framed the shot really well. The open book is acting as a reflector, and is bouncing a little fill light back into the face of the young woman - I don't know if you posed the shot like this, but either way that was a neat trick.

The only (very picky) problem I have is that the subject's hair is rather too dark for it to separate nicely from the low values in the tree behind.

John

To sum up try a blonde rinse. ;) ;D A well composed image that has obviously had some thought applied before hand. Something that I am trying to do to distinguish between what is considered recording the scene and having some vision by the photographer applied before the shutter is pressed. You should be pleased with this image. :)
Title: Re: The reader
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 07, 2011, 01:30:50 pm
I agree with John that it's a lovely image, and also that it would have been nice if her hair had been more clearly distinguishable from the tree. You've obviously planned it.

One thing that spoils it a little for me is the very bright background, which draws my eye away from the main image. I suspect there's not much you can do about it.

Jeremy
Title: Re: The reader
Post by: armand on April 07, 2011, 04:57:04 pm
I don't like to take credit where it's not the case so I'll say it from the beginning that it wasn't planned. At least not her being there and reading so absorbed those Hemingway short stories. So no trick, it just how it she was reading. Now, the focus and framing were quite planned, because I knew I won't get too many shots before she could hear me (it's not always nice to have a DSLR) and change her position.
I was able to get only 2 shots, this and one with tighter framing.
Title: Re: The reader
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 08, 2011, 03:36:28 am
I don't like to take credit where it's not the case so I'll say it from the beginning that it wasn't planned. At least not her being there and reading so absorbed those Hemingway short stories. So no trick, it just how it she was reading. Now, the focus and framing were quite planned, because I knew I won't get too many shots before she could hear me (it's not always nice to have a DSLR) and change her position.
I was able to get only 2 shots, this and one with tighter framing.
"Fortune favours the prepared mind."

Jeremy