Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Niki Dinov on April 04, 2011, 02:03:04 am

Title: curved roll paper gets dirty
Post by: Niki Dinov on April 04, 2011, 02:03:04 am
I have problems with heavy papers especially when the roll is close to the end.
The head of Epson 9900 hits the paper amd makes it dirty.
Can I flatten the paper before printing?
Title: Re: curved roll paper gets dirty
Post by: Ken on April 04, 2011, 02:39:20 am
Cut it off the core, flatten it and feed it as a sheet. Don't forget to change your paper handling settings.
Title: Re: curved roll paper gets dirty
Post by: Niki Dinov on April 04, 2011, 02:48:03 am
Thank you, Ken!

Any pice of advice about flattening? Exept D-Roller
Title: Re: curved roll paper gets dirty
Post by: Ken on April 04, 2011, 03:14:47 am
In my experience, the heavy metal bar of the D-roller flops around as I roll and unroll, leaving undulations on Canson Baryta Photographique. I replaced it with a heavy duty mailing tube which seems to have solved the problem.
Title: Re: curved roll paper gets dirty
Post by: bill t. on April 04, 2011, 02:48:16 pm
Not sure how the 9900 is shaped, but with my 9880 I would sometimes unwind short, stiff rolls and just drape the paper over the top of the printer until the next printing session.  Would give the paper time to uncurl just enough.  Be sure to blow off any dust and be careful with the red chili sauce.

My usual way of dealing with short ends is to use them for proofing and test strips.
Title: Re: curved roll paper gets dirty
Post by: dtsiapas on April 05, 2011, 04:15:54 pm
Maybe you should try changing the platen gap.
I had some issues with ink smearing at the end of rolls at 255gr (I had the platen gap set to automatic) and after changing it to Standard the problem was solved.

/Dimitris
Title: Re: curved roll paper gets dirty
Post by: bellimages on April 05, 2011, 09:34:30 pm
I recently changed my Platen Gap to Wide ...... for Museo Silver Rag. That solved the problem
Title: Re: curved roll paper gets dirty
Post by: Niki Dinov on April 06, 2011, 01:22:34 pm
Does wide or wider Platen gap reflect on the quality of the printing?