Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: keith_cooper on April 01, 2011, 04:48:45 am

Title: Name for paper creases?
Post by: keith_cooper on April 01, 2011, 04:48:45 am
Those annoying little angled creases you get in prints when someone carelessly picks one up - I was sure there is a name for them, but it's eluding me...

Does anyone know?

It came about because I was reviewing a new paper that I'd seen at the UK Focus show that is uncommonly resistant to them - that and the surface finish allegedly resists casual copying too...

PermaJet Ultra Pearl paper (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/paper/permajet_ultra_pearl.html?)
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: dgberg on April 01, 2011, 05:42:05 am
Crinkle?
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: keith_cooper on April 01, 2011, 06:06:14 am
Not what I thought... :-)

I just have this recollection that there was a specific name for it from the paper/print industry
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: John R Smith on April 01, 2011, 06:18:29 am
I seem to remember "cockle".

But I could be wrong . . .

John
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: howardm on April 01, 2011, 06:31:54 am
I thought cockle referred to localized waviness due to overloading the paper w/ ink.  ???
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: framah on April 01, 2011, 08:52:16 am
Crescent... as in a crescent moon. How's that. That's what I call them.

I'm constantly teaching people how to hold their art when they are in here.
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: Pete Berry on April 01, 2011, 12:47:41 pm
Krinks, the damnable things are, and may all krinkers be chastized severely!

Pete
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: Sven W on April 01, 2011, 12:56:38 pm
framah....right. We call it half moon.

/Sven
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: daws on April 01, 2011, 04:02:27 pm
I've always heard "krinks," as in "Stop krinking the damn print!"
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: datro on April 01, 2011, 05:39:02 pm
dimple
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: Rob Reiter on April 01, 2011, 10:02:19 pm
Ding!
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: OSP on April 02, 2011, 01:22:56 pm
That may be the funniest thread in LL in quite a while.... :D It sounds like the effects crew behind the scenes in 40' radio skits.
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: framah on April 02, 2011, 02:17:07 pm
Actually, I like Krinks better than crescents.

Krinkers is the perfect name for those people who krink the art!

As in:    The frakkin' Krinkers are at it again!!

Thanks for that!
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 02, 2011, 07:36:42 pm
I always called them crescents, but I see that Krinks and Krinkers are the wave of the future, so I'll just have to adapt.

Now let me go Krink a few nice prints...
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: Luca Ragogna on April 03, 2011, 10:05:35 am
Kink.
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: Justan on April 03, 2011, 11:22:45 am
I call them, the reason I stopped using f$%^&g thin HP paper!  ;)
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: Randy Carone on April 04, 2011, 10:06:35 am
+1 for kink
Title: Re: Name for paper creases?
Post by: Bill Koenig on April 11, 2011, 02:37:20 pm
I've always called them "Kinks"