Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: BertWaife on March 30, 2011, 10:36:27 pm

Title: Should I re adjust image size for printing?
Post by: BertWaife on March 30, 2011, 10:36:27 pm
I am printing out some LOC (Library of Congress) images that are 155meg tiffs.  Comes up in PS as 10" x 8" at 980 resolution.
Should I re size, by lowering the resolution if what I want is a large print?  I would like to print the file 24" on the short side.
thanks
Title: Re: Should I re adjust image size for printing?
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 30, 2011, 10:41:20 pm
You don't need to send more than 300~360 to the printer, so yes, enlarge the linear dimensions by reducing the PPI with "Resample" OFF.
Title: Re: Should I re adjust image size for printing?
Post by: BertWaife on March 30, 2011, 10:58:53 pm
Thanks!!
What about output sharpening?  I use NIK and put about 19% on it.  On screen it looked ok that way.  I am waiting for the print now. 
So far looks great on Epson 9900
Title: Re: Should I re adjust image size for printing?
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 30, 2011, 11:26:57 pm
Sorry, can't advise about Nik Sharpener. I use Photokit Sharpener Pro 2.
Title: Re: Should I re adjust image size for printing?
Post by: PeterAit on March 31, 2011, 10:33:12 am
Assuming you are not talking about resampling, it doesn't matter. If you want a 16x20 print, for example, you can resize the image to 16x20 and print it at 100%, or you can leave the image size at 8x10 and print it at 200%, and the results will be identical. If, however, you are going to apply output sharpening you should resize to the desired print size because most (all?) output sharpening tools take the print size into account.