Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: jpgentry on March 30, 2011, 01:01:51 pm

Title: FS iPF9100
Post by: jpgentry on March 30, 2011, 01:01:51 pm
Hi guys. I hope this is allowed but I just wanted to let you know that I'm selling my iPF9100 in leu of delivery of an Epson GS6000.  It's been a great printer, no issues and still is a $9,000+ printer.  I have extra inks and heads for it.  For anyone contemplating a LF printer I highly recommend the Canon brand.

Ebay listing below.  Auction ends this evening:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-ImagePrograf-iPF9100-Printer-Large-Format-/230600737305?pt=COMP_Printers&hash=item35b0e00219

Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 30, 2011, 02:38:34 pm
Hi guys. I hope this is allowed but I just wanted to let you know that I'm selling my iPF9100 in leu of delivery of an Epson GS6000.  It's been a great printer, no issues and still is a $9,000+ printer.  I have extra inks and heads for it.  For anyone contemplating a LF printer I highly recommend the Canon brand.

Ebay listing below.  Auction ends this evening:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-ImagePrograf-iPF9100-Printer-Large-Format-/230600737305?pt=COMP_Printers&hash=item35b0e00219




It is allowed, but just for your guidance, there is a whole section of this Discussion Forum dedicated to sale of equipment, called "For Sale" (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0 (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0) ), where you can list your item. It may well be seen by more people there, because that is where people who want to buy and sell stuff go.
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: Sven W on March 30, 2011, 04:49:45 pm
Good luck with the GS6000  :D
For a couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to do a decoration job on a GS.
Very pleasant result and I was impressed how very easy the handling is.
I think this zone between wb and ordinary billboard-signage-solvent is going to grow, and where the GS has a lead.
We get more and more missions for fine art "decorations", and the wb-ink-media isn't strong enough
for e.g. more public spaces compared to the home or gallery walls. (see image)

Our printstudio has the range of wb Epsons from 17" to 64", so it's crowded for the moment.
But the GS will definitely be the next LF.

/Sven
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: jpgentry on March 31, 2011, 08:37:34 pm
Sorry for posting FS in the wrong place.

The printer did not sell and in an odd way it was a relief.  I think I will just squeeze both in for now and do the photo work on the iPF and the large jobs on the GS.  These two printers will make a pretty nice combination.  I was going to replace the 9100 with an 8300 so not such a big difference.

Sven thanks forth the post about the GS.  Glad to know you liked the way it operated.  What is your abbreviation wb? 

I'll keep you posted on my thought about the GS.  It will be here tomorrow.
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: Sven W on April 01, 2011, 12:40:41 am
 What is your abbreviation wb?  

Water based ink. Compared to solvent based ink.
I guess you know the difference.

Another thing with the GS, is the absence of driver and paper profiles. You have to test every single media and make
your own profiles.
What RIP are you going to use with the GS?

/Sven
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: jpgentry on April 02, 2011, 07:41:07 pm
Yes the difference between solvant and water base is the reason for the purchase.  Just don't use that abbreviation that much.  I usually use the word aqueous so wb didn't immediatly pop into the brain.

Yes the GS comes with the Colorburst RIP included here in the states.  I hear that may not be the best, but it does come with it's own profiling application, and I have an i1.  I was told that Colorburst is good for RelCol intent (signs and graphics) but that I should go with something like Monaco Profiler to create profiles for the perceptual intent (fine art, photography, etc.)  Not sure if this is widely agreed, or if there are many people that would even know enough to comment, but I plan to do some comparison.

So I received the printer yesterday and started building the stand in preperation to put the printer in service.  I'll keep you guys posted on my experience with the GS.

-Jonathan

Water based ink. Compared to solvent based ink.
I guess you know the difference.

Another thing with the GS, is the absence of driver and paper profiles. You have to test every single media and make
your own profiles.
What RIP are you going to use with the GS?

/Sven
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: Sven W on April 03, 2011, 05:13:23 pm
So you mean that you can't use the opposite? RelCol on fineart and photography and Perc on signage and graphics???
Isn't it very much depending on the image content and gamut according to what the media can handle?

/Sven
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 03, 2011, 07:32:58 pm
You can use whatever RI you want, depending on what looks better for the image at hand - it's a variable, not a rule.
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: na goodman on April 03, 2011, 07:57:56 pm
I run the GS for a client. The best output came when I made our own "environments" through Colorburst. Some clients have switched to the Onyx rip with the GS. The Colorburst Rip for the GS is specific to that printer. It has a different version than other Colorburst versions. If you have any questions at all with using the rip, contact Colorburst directly or their is an online forum http://www.colorburstrip.com/forums/index.php. Good luck with the GS, it is a beast. But, then again I am only 5' tall and can barely load the paper.
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: Sven W on April 04, 2011, 03:11:15 am
I used the Efi ColorProof XF, which was very convenient, because we use the same RIP for proofing on a 4900 and 9900.


/Sven
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: Sven W on April 04, 2011, 03:55:27 am
I used the Efi ColorProof XF, which was very convenient, because we use the same RIP for proofing on a 4900 and 9900.


/Sven
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: jpgentry on April 08, 2011, 01:23:20 am
I run the GS for a client. The best output came when I made our own "environments" through Colorburst. Some clients have switched to the Onyx rip with the GS. The Colorburst Rip for the GS is specific to that printer. It has a different version than other Colorburst versions. If you have any questions at all with using the rip, contact Colorburst directly or their is an online forum http://www.colorburstrip.com/forums/index.php. Good luck with the GS, it is a beast. But, then again I am only 5' tall and can barely load the paper.

How long did it take you to make an environment?  What type of media were you using?
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: Scott Martin on April 08, 2011, 09:10:20 am
As along time users of just about every RIP out there over the last 15 years, I think ColorBurst is an excellent way to go. It's lean, simple, fast and the quality can't be beat if you know how to make your own environments. Knowing the right procedure with all the details is the key! The Lab linearization produces incredible B&W images when printed in color - a feat that can be hard to achieve as well in other RIPs (ONXY especially). The process of creating an environment could take all day and lead to disappointing results to a new user, but takes less than an hour for a trained professional.
Title: Re: FS iPF9100
Post by: na goodman on April 08, 2011, 09:49:01 am
As Scott mentioned it can take all day to make an environment. It would usually take me a few hours. Getting to know the ins and outs of any rip is a process. Make sure you are running the newest version of Colorburst which I think is 9.4.6. The media was for vehicle wraps, I can't remember which company it came from but I can check if that is important. I'll be there again next week.