Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: PeterAit on March 28, 2011, 01:20:53 pm

Title: Silverfast versus Epson software
Post by: PeterAit on March 28, 2011, 01:20:53 pm
My Epson v750 came with the Silverfast scanning software but the 32 bit version only, which won't run on 64 bit Windows, so I have been limited to using the Epson scanning software. I am wondering what I am missing - is it worth it to pay for the Silverfast software?
Title: Re: Silverfast versus Epson software
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 28, 2011, 01:33:40 pm
My Epson v750 came with the Silverfast scanning software but the 32 bit version only, which won't run on 64 bit Windows, so I have been limited to using the Epson scanning software. I am wondering what I am missing - is it worth it to pay for the Silverfast software?

Peter, register the serial number of your current Ai software for that scanner on the SilverFast website if you have not done so already. Once you've done that, go here: http://www.silverfast.com/show/windows7/en.html (http://www.silverfast.com/show/windows7/en.html), then click on the "Update" button, which will take you to another screen. Follow the instructions and you should be able to cross-over from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version with no charge. If that doesn't work I suggest you contact SilverFast tech support before assuming you would need to pay for it. There's no question it's a much more fulsome scanning application than EpsonScan. That's why it's bundled.
Title: Re: Silverfast versus Epson software
Post by: feppe on March 28, 2011, 01:39:34 pm
Silverfast is clearly a full-featured product, but I came to the conclusion that there's no point in spending money on it since I use my V700 for proofs and web-sized scanning.

I haven't seen any comparison of results to compare what you get for the investment and hassle.
Title: Re: Silverfast versus Epson software
Post by: PeterAit on March 28, 2011, 03:37:52 pm
Thanks, that worked!
Title: Re: Silverfast versus Epson software
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 28, 2011, 05:04:03 pm
Good.