Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Mark D Segal on March 25, 2011, 11:25:25 pm
-
I have Michael Reichmann’s permission to make an announcement here, which could be of interest to readers who do image scanning.
On Friday April 8th, from 2 to 5 PM, Vistek Toronto will be hosting a free seminar on scanning with SilverFast, to be presented by Mr. Boris Bischof, North American representative of LaserSoft Imaging Inc. As many of you know, over the past few years I have contributed a number of articles to The Luminous-Landscape on the subject of scanning with SilverFast, and I shall be working alongside Boris at this seminar.
Boris will be making the main presentation, and there will be ample provision for Q&A, when we’ll do our best to answer your questions about using SilverFast. We expect to be using Epson v750 and Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED scanners for demonstrating the program’s features and functions.
The seminar is free of charge, courtesy of Vistek and LaserSoft Imaging. You may get further details and register here: http://www.vistek.ca/events/seminars/832/silverfast.aspx (http://www.vistek.ca/events/seminars/832/silverfast.aspx)
If you have other questions about the event I shall be pleased to help as possible through this Forum Topic. If you intend to register and have any specific interests regarding content, please post a Reply in this Topic.
-
Why not make it also as a webinar? Toronto is 6607 km (4105 miles) from here.
/fox
-
Indeed, this is an idea whose time has come, and in fact the concept of scanning webinars has been under discussion in another context since a while ago. At present, I doubt that either party is equipped to manage it for this event and are unlikely to be able to do so between now and April 8th. But I'll run it by them.
-
Grab a GH2 and record it :). LaserSoft Imaging could surely host it.
-
I wish I could be there ... but Hamburg is too far ...
-
Mark,
Get someone to videotape and edit it, and I'll host it here.
Michael
-
Mark,
Get someone to videotape and edit it, and I'll host it here.
Michael
Super idea. I'll see what I can do!
-
I wish I could be there ... but Hamburg is too far ...
I was in Hamburg last November only for two days - great city. Needless to say I visited the Deichtorhallen http://www.google.ca/search?q=deichtorhallen+house+of+photography&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a (http://www.google.ca/search?q=deichtorhallen+house+of+photography&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) and came out with extra baggage to carry home (books are heavy)! I had lousy weather but some time to make a few photos as I wandered about, which you can see here: http://www.markdsegal.com/hamburg_2010/ (http://www.markdsegal.com/hamburg_2010/)
-
Mark - next time you visit Hamburg send me a PM, maybe we can drink a coffee and I'll show you around some places the casual visitor won't find.
-
Christhoph,
I certainly hope there will be a next time, and if there is, I shall certainly do so. Many thanks.
Mark
-
Mark,
Get someone to videotape and edit it, and I'll host it here.
Michael
Super idea. I'll see what I can do!
Was the seminar recorded and available for all now?
/fox
-
Was the seminar recorded and available for all now?
/fox
Hi "Oldfox". Long and short of it - unfortunately we did not. We considered the idea and saw that to make it satisfactory more would need to go into it than pointing a camera from the audience, and there simply wasn't the time, or the resources, available to get it all together in the short time period we had. But your interest, and that of others is really much appreciated. Interesting developments are underway on the scanning front, so I think some months down the road there will be further opportunities to make new learning activities and materials available on scanning, particularly if the sponsors see demand for them.
-
"Hi "Oldfox". Long and short of it - unfortunately we did not."
That is unfortunate, I too was interested but couldn't do the time. My 750 came with both Silverfast Ai and Epson scan softwares and I have yet to get the results that would entice me to "upgrade", if that's whats missing. I simply have not done well with the tutorials provided, so Epson it is, for ease and results.
davidbogdan
-
"Hi "Oldfox". Long and short of it - unfortunately we did not."
That is unfortunate, I too was interested but couldn't do the time. My 750 came with both Silverfast Ai and Epson scan softwares and I have yet to get the results that would entice me to "upgrade", if that's whats missing. I simply have not done well with the tutorials provided, so Epson it is, for ease and results.
davidbogdan
Hi David,
Like I said to Oldfox, I do regret that we weren't able to do this in a way that would have been satisfactory, given the various constraints on this particular event; but I expect there will be other opportunities to come, and that they will be structured in a way facilitating your participation.
Turning, to the key concern you express here, it seems to be with what you aren't getting versus what you think Ai6 should be giving you, absent any up-grade. I'd be interested to know why. By the "tutorials provided", do you mean those Quick-Time movies? Or do you mean the big on-line manual in PDF format? Are there particular features of the application giving you problems which you think would improve scan quality if the information provided better explained how to deal with them? I'm asking because I think this kind of feedback from users or potential users is important to LSI. The more insight they have into these issues, the better a position it will put them in to help the whole community.
-
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply! I just spent about 5 hrs re-reading the PDF and again touching down on the quick time videos.. I guess I'm still missing the boat.
Let me know when something (dumbed down) is available, I'd be very interested.
btw... I use both the Epson Holder or Fluid tray with ANR glass as well as the BetterScanning solution, dependent on output performance needs.
davidbogdan
-
OK David - understood - seems to be a documentation issue. The next time I'm involved in one of these exercises, or hear of one, I'll revisit this thread or start a new one so you are all advised.
-
Thanks for your time,
There seems to be plenty of info and It certainly seems to have an infinite amount of adjustment.. Once or twice around the block with someone familiar with the flow would probably do the trick.... that's why the disappointment in the webinar.. I'll keep plugging away, now and then, and maybe it'll click. :P
davidbogdan
-
Well..after pumping in a fair amount of time on the net, married to a lot of trial and error, I have to say that I'm headed in a positive direction with the SF software. I'll be rescanning over the next few days to enforce my findings.
db
-
Well..after pumping in a fair amount of time on the net, married to a lot of trial and error, I have to say that I'm headed in a positive direction with the SF software. I'll be rescanning over the next few days to enforce my findings.
db
Good work. Please let us know how the rescanning is coming out and whether you are satisfied with it.