Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on March 25, 2011, 12:14:35 am

Title: Crop study
Post by: armand on March 25, 2011, 12:14:35 am
I know it's a touchy subject for many but I'll take my chances  ;D
It's part of my Everglades pictures and I plan to post some these days.
Title: Re: Crop study
Post by: Dick Roadnight on March 25, 2011, 04:27:02 am
I know it's a touchy subject for many but I'll take my chances  ;D
It's part of my Everglades pictures and I plan to post some these days.
Many photographers are happy to argue all day about cropping - but this is a typical example of the difference focal length,or angle of view can make to a picture, as you can adjust the relative size of the foreground and background by changing lenses... one aspect of "getting it right in camera".
Title: Re: Crop study
Post by: armand on March 25, 2011, 09:32:23 am
I took several other shots trying to get it right and some of them work. Here I was between some branches so changing the position would have been quite difficult. I did achieve some of effects by changing the focal length and using the camera in portrait mode but still not like this.
I just liked how much the perspective can change and that you can "save" some shots. I couldn't be in that location forever and the light was changing really fast.

Those being said, any preference for any of those shots? I'm interested mainly in the last 2 (the tighter crops) as I missed it could be a picture on its own although it was standing in front of me.
Title: Re: Crop study
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on March 25, 2011, 10:09:14 am
My preference is for #3.
Title: Re: Crop study
Post by: feppe on March 25, 2011, 01:38:12 pm
I think Russ's head just exploded  ;D

I prefer the square colored version - it's simple and balanced composition.
Title: Re: Crop study
Post by: Kirk Gittings on March 25, 2011, 02:14:36 pm
I love the little tree in the far right but the stuff below it is distracting. I would remove the distracting stuff myself. I hope you don't mind a D&D edit.
Title: Re: Crop study
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 25, 2011, 04:27:48 pm
I love the little tree in the far right but the stuff below it is distracting. I would remove the distracting stuff myself. I hope you don't mind a D&D edit.

+1 - Exactly !
Title: Re: Crop study
Post by: armand on March 25, 2011, 04:38:46 pm
I love the little tree in the far right but the stuff below it is distracting. I would remove the distracting stuff myself. I hope you don't mind a D&D edit.
Thanks. I actually tried to do the same in Lightroom but my skills are not that good and I could see plenty of artifacts so I gave up and started to crop  ;D
I guess I could try some more in the older Photoshop Elements that I have, I don't think I will ever buy the full blown Photoshop.
Title: Re: Crop study
Post by: feppe on March 25, 2011, 05:12:47 pm
Thanks. I actually tried to do the same in Lightroom but my skills are not that good and I could see plenty of artifacts so I gave up and started to crop  ;D
I guess I could try some more in the older Photoshop Elements that I have, I don't think I will ever buy the full blown Photoshop.

You could try GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/), it's free, as in beer. No 16-bit editing, though. Plenty of other alternatives to Photoshop as well.