Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: kevs on March 22, 2011, 02:13:51 pm
-
Anyone here use Nikon Scanners?
The software I have wont launch. I have a long log report if it helps. Nikon scan 4 software
It just crashes upon launch.
If I go back to an old version of Photoshop it work via the import dialoge however so there is some hope I think.
But I would really like to have the standalone work again. I have done a delete and reinstall of the software to no avail. thanks!
-
My understanding is that Nikon has stopped doing any up-dates for its scanning software, so as new versions of the systems with which it has to work (e.g. OSX, Photoshop) cause issues for the latest available version of Nikon Scan, you will not be able to retrieve that functionality while remaining up to date with everything else. You may be better off trying SilverFast or Vuescsn as your new scanning software. Both applications are compatible with the latest versions of OSX and Photoshop. You can download free demos to give them a try.
-
Thanks , nice post!
Ok, Do those softwares power the Nikon Scanner? Which do you recommend bang for the buck.
But, the standalone was working as recently as a month or two ago! I don't get it. I'm now on OS 10.6.6
As for importing with PHotoshop, CS2 is actually working. But I'd like it to work with CS5, is that possible? I have the plug in in the same folder. Do you know much about that?
-
Thanks , nice post!
Ok, Do those softwares power the Nikon Scanner? Which do you recommend bang for the buck.
But, the standalone was working as recently as a month or two ago! I don't get it. I'm now on OS 10.6.6
As for importing with PHotoshop, CS2 is actually working. But I'd like it to work with CS5, is that possible? I have the plug in in the same folder. Do you know much about that?
You are welcome.
The problem is that once a company stops supporting a piece of software, it is liable - or shall we say "at risk" - to becoming unusable from one up-grade of an OS to the next because of tweaks in the OS upgrade that introduce elements which the legacy software can't deal with. What those elements are we don't know, so we are inferring that changes to the one are affecting the other, a pretty safe bet if the affected software worked before the OS or Photoshop upgrade, but not after.
Now, if that were the explanation, you would need more up-to-date scanner software and both Vuescan and SilverFast will almost for sure support your Nikon scanner (I say *almost for sure* because I don't know which model Nikon scanner you are using).
Different people have different taste in scanner software and different budget constraints, and a different value scale for relating incremental cost to incremental features/functionality. That's why I recommend downloading both and trying them. Both deliver usable image scans. Make-up your own mind about what is best for you. While some factors are objective differentiators of program quality, others are subjective - e.g. your overall comfort level using the one program versus the other.
-
thanks Mark. out of blue today it's working again! But I'll hold onto your valuable info...
-
Still, what's odd Mark, it's working fine, but with CS 5 to CS 3 it wont appear in import menu list, but does in CS2
-
Still, what's odd Mark, it's working fine, but with CS 5 to CS 3 it wont appear in import menu list, but does in CS2
This means something changed in Photoshop after CS2 which Nikon was no longer keeping up with. I don't know what, and have no idea whether it would be possible to tweak anything to make the connection. I just use SilverFast with my Nikon 5000 - it's totally compatible, and so is Vuescan. As I said, when you are trying to "push" legacy software that no-one is supporting, any functionality you get is on borrowed time.
-
thanks Mark!