Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: larryg on March 19, 2011, 08:40:47 pm
-
having some issues with blue tones printing a purple shade.
Printer: Epson 7600
Lyve Canvas
using icc profile for Lyve Canvas for 7600/9600
Paper selection: Photo Glossy
No color management (allowing Photoshop to manage color)
Monitor recently calibrated.
Am I missing something? (this happened before with a separate image)
Premium lustre works ok
Any similar experiences?
-
Doesn't Breathing Color suggest WCRW for the paper?
Might be a place to start.
-
Hi Dan, thanks for the response Help me out WCRW what does that stand for?
Thanks
-
Water Color Radiant White. You pick it as the media in the Epson print driver window.
-
Thanks Dan, you are right Water Color Radient White. I will play with this a bit. It usually is something basic
But after reading I currently am using Photo Black and the recomendation is Premium Glossy Photo
so this must not be my issue with all setting recommended are the ones on my computer?
All other colors seem to render properly except shadows/blues turn purple
Thanks for your input
-
Have never used pk on Lyve. Just looked it up and see the pk profile now. Have you tried the mk profile with the WCRW just to see if you get the same results?
-
I am going to play with this a bit will try the water color first I am avoiding using the matte black because so much ink is wasted changing. But I have a feeling this could make a difference with the tonage results with the black tones I also have Brilliance and might try a small sample to see if the same results.
trial and error (with emphasis on error)
-
I've worked with Lyve on an Epson 9900, and get excellent results, but...
1. I use MK inks, and am not sure how the PK inks do.
2. Take advantage of Breathing Color's offer to make a custom profile for you free of charge! They will finish it with the glamor surface you chose (matte, semi-matte, or gloss) before profiling.
3. Here is what is crucial. The gamut of canvas is much narrower than glossy paper stock, especially in the blue colors. I always do a soft proof, and in photos with lots of blue will often need to adjust the image while viewing the soft proof. I keep a special version of the file for printing on canvas, as quite a large correction is necessary in the blues.
I think that if you follow these steps (and have a properly calibrated monitor) you will get excellent results.
Paul
-
Paul, actually this (difficulty with blues) makes sense as all other colors have come through ok. It is only the blues I have had problems with. I am thinking of going to Matte Black Just hate to lose so much ink in a test. Most of my prints have been on Lustre but am leaning toward doing most of my work on canvas for the near future.
I plan on working with this later this week and see if I can bring back the blues. I have a roll of Brilliance canvas that I will make a test print with (to see if the blues react differently with this paper).
Thanks for your post.
-
Also, you only need to print a 1 or 2 inch strip to test the color. Spray with a quick drying acrylic to get an idea of how the final print will look. No need to make a large print!
Paul
-
thanks you are so right don't waste any more paper/ink than necessary
-
Here is what I did do remove or at least minimize the erroneous purples.
I experimented by changing different hues of the different colors Magenta and Blue. The best results was -5 blue hue -10 mde the blues look cyan not perfect but acceptable.
I am sure there are other ways to correct this problem but this seamed to be the quickest for a single print (other than changing to Matte black).
-
Printing matte canvas with photo black generally gives low contrast, mushy dark areas when compared to the same image printed with matte black. To my eye, photo black on canvas is simply not acceptable from a visual standpoint. Also, photo black ink on canvas tends to smear if you roll on coatings.
Of course the 7600 requires a cartridge change to go from matte to photo black, so it's a tough call for someone who also needs to print glossy papers. There are some "glossy" canvases such as BC Crystalline that are best printed with photo black ink, so there's an option.
The manufacturers claim that some of the glossy canvases kinda-sorta do not need to be coated. But although they are fairly rugged uncoated, IMHO they absolutely do need coating, both for tonality and resilience. The catch, glossy canvases can only be sprayed, not rolled. Another catch, glossy canvases are generally more expensive than matte canvases.
-
Thanks for the post and I agree that Matte Black would be best for the canvas papers I am using. Canvas printing is a recent venture for me as I have always used photo paper (Lustre, glossy etc.) Once I decide that I will be spending most of my printing time on canvas I am going to switch to Matte Black.
I have heard from several who use only Matte Black for this and other canvas papers.
Thanks again for you input.