Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Robcat on March 19, 2011, 03:49:59 pm
-
I'm in the 3rd day of a 4 day show in New York in which my prints were labeled "pigment ink on paper" (or canvas as the case may be). This seemed to be a reasonable description to me (and many of you on other LuLa topic posts) and certainly superior to the hideous "Giclee" or the questionable "archival something." However, I must've had to explain this terminology hundreds of times. Of course it's nice that I've had hundreds looking and asking questions :), but the terminology doesn't seem to be communicating well. What are people's experiences with terms that are perhaps clearer?
-
Here (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=39196)
-
That's the thread from which I gleaned the "pigment ink..." construction in the first place. I agree with the posters in that thread that something like it is the most technically accurate, but it sure is not communicating well with the public (just explained it 4 more times since my OP.
-
I'm curious why people are asking. I wonder if they also ask when they see "gelatin silver" on a traditional B&W print?
Neil
-
this is all my opinion, but I find Giclee to be both totally pretentious and entirely un-helpful for my clients. ( I largely do portraiture). I say "museum print" and "print on cotton rag" interchangeably with no questions.
-
However, I must've had to explain this terminology hundreds of times. Of course it's nice that I've had hundreds looking and asking questions, but the terminology doesn't seem to be communicating well.
Well, I would suggest that it's in your (and the gallery's) best interest to have an info sheet that explains the technology behind the prints. I would try to avoid typical hype and marketing-speak and simply explain the basics. Something along "About the Prints" and explain, in general terms, how the images were prepared and printed. You can talk a bit about the technology but most people won't really care that much beyond a basic understanding of what they are looking at and what it may mean to them. Easier to prepare an info sheet that repeating the same explanation over and over...
-
Well, what would you expect? To the layman what does pigment ink mean? Like it or not, giclee is becoming a more understood term everyday. Technically, it might mean crap, but who sells their art on the scientifically correct development process?
-
Inkjet print.
-
I'm in the 3rd day of a 4 day show in New York in which my prints were labeled "pigment ink on paper" (or canvas as the case may be). This seemed to be a reasonable description to me (and many of you on other LuLa topic posts) and certainly superior to the hideous "Giclee" or the questionable "archival something." However, I must've had to explain this terminology hundreds of times. Of course it's nice that I've had hundreds looking and asking questions :), but the terminology doesn't seem to be communicating well. What are people's experiences with terms that are perhaps clearer?
That's great! You've caught their attention, and are given an opportunity to make personal contact. Now it's up to you to turn the opportunity into sales (assuming that's your goal).
Bart
-
Well, what would you expect? To the layman what does pigment ink mean? Like it or not, giclee is becoming a more understood term everyday. Technically, it might mean crap, but who sells their art on the scientifically correct development process?
A layman understands that "giclee" means "to ejaculate" in French. And that it is pretentious.
-
A layman understands that "giclee" means "to ejaculate" in French. And that it is pretentious.
A French-speaking layman, may I add. And yes, it does sound pretentious to all others (i.e., non-French speaking).
-
Inkjet print.
That sounds exactly as the printer they already have in their home or office... not a good selling point.
-
That sounds exactly as the printer they already have in their home or office... not a good selling point.
Exactly. Trying to use a scientifically correct term in describing your print process will just make every potential customer's eyes gloss over.
Yeh, I use pigmented ink laid down onto the finest multi layered Baryta paper.
Potential customer...yeh what ever.
Like it or not, the term giclee is starting to be equated with quality prints.
-
The origin construction of the term "Giclee" comes, as you probably all know, from Jack Duganne at Nash Editions. In the early 90's.
I read an interview with Mac Holbert from Nash Editions that they nowadays prefer the term "pigment print (on acid free cotton rag)"
But I agree with some posts above, that from a pedagogical point view, it doesn't say much for layman. And sometimes in a discussion, I can say that it is not a painting, a drawing or a sculpture. It's simply "a photograph". ;)
/Sven
-
Kleenex
Xerox
Giclee
These have all become generic terms that people use. Everyone seems to know what you mean when you say you are going to Xerox something or please hand me a Kleenex.
When someone comes into my store and they see the 9900, they usually ask "Does that make those Giclees?" They have heard the word enough to connect it to printing and then I have the opportunity to give them a bit more info about the process.
A paper to hand out with more info on the process is always good for our business.
Maybe when a print is labeled, Pigment ink on paper you can add Giclee in parentheses. This way people can make the connection.
Pretty much no one knows that Giclee means "to ejaculate" in French. Only those who speak French and those of us who are gicleeing all over the paper. :o
-
The origin construction of the term "Giclee" comes, as you probably all know, from Jack Duganne at Nash Editions. In the early 90's.
I read an interview with Mac Holbert from Nash Editions that they nowadays prefer the term "pigment print (on acid free cotton rag)"
But I agree with some posts above, that from a pedagogical point view, it doesn't say much for layman. And sometimes in a discussion, I can say that it is not a painting, a drawing or a sculpture. It's simply "a photograph".
I like "photograph." Perhaps with the addition "printed on..." Agree also with having a nice sheet describing the technique in more detail.
A few minutes ago someone saw the "pigment ink on canvas" and assumed I was brushing on a special ink.
But don't get me wrong, I'm happy for any excuse to talk to folks.
-
But do you never has to explain what a Giclee is??
That it is (was) a method and not a technique. I.e. "to precisely reproduce an art work, digitize it, and then print it as
close to the original as possible."
And that is not what is in front of OP's audience.
/Sven
Kleenex
Xerox
Giclee
These have all become generic terms that people use. Everyone seems to know what you mean when you say you are going to Xerox something or please hand me a Kleenex.
When someone comes into my store and they see the 9900, they usually ask "Does that make those Giclees?" They have heard the word enough to connect it to printing and then I have the opportunity to give them a bit more info about the process.
A paper to hand out with more info on the process is always good for our business.
Maybe when a print is labeled, Pigment ink on paper you can add Giclee in parentheses. This way people can make the connection.
Pretty much no one knows that Giclee means "to ejaculate" in French. Only those who speak French and those of us who are gicleeing all over the paper. :o
-
But do you never has to explain what a Giclee is??
That it is (was) a method and not a technique. I.e. "to precisely reproduce an art work, digitize it, and then print it as
close to the original as possible."
...
According to what source or dictionary!?
-
That was stated by the IAFADP to achieve an Giclee approval.
Wikipedia:
"Artists generally use giclée inkjet printing to make reproductions of their original two-dimensional artwork....."
On the web:
"We offer full service digital fine art Giclee printing to artists who need to create gallery-ready reproductions of original artwork..."
"Exact reproductions on artist's canvas (giclees) so carefully made that even an expert could be fooled." :D
Et al
/Sven
-
Then there is this website (http://www.gicleeprint.net/abtGclee.shtm) that says "...Prints made with coated substrates are not considered true digital pigment prints." Go figure.
-
The text sounds 97 :D
/Sven
-
Giclee = inkjet. Period. Not more, not less.
Everything else is a desperate, snobbish, pretentious marketing effort to create an aura, mystique, something special, "artistic", blah, blah, blah... and thus differentiate itself from those common, "banal", omnipresent, home and office inkjets.
-
Yes for ten years ago.
How about inkjet = Giclee ? How many agree?
/Sven
Giclee = inkjet. Period. Not more, not less.
Everything else is a desperate, snobbish, pretentious marketing effort to create an aura, mystique, something special, "artistic", blah, blah, blah... and thus differentiate itself from those common, "banal", omnipresent, home and office inkjets.
-
I'm tempted to start offering prints in two ways:
either Pigment on (---) Paper, or "Giclee" (at significantly extra cost). :D
-
I'm tempted to start offering prints in two ways:
either Pigment on (---) Paper, or "Giclee" (at significantly extra cost). :D
Been done for generations in fashion, car industry, computer industry, software industry etc...
-
Been done for generations in fashion, car industry, computer industry, software industry etc...
Shucks! every time I get a great new idea, somebody else has already made money off of it.
-
I doubt there will be a consensus anytime soon :-\. The art world does seems to like more "artsy" terms for technical processes, so "giclee" is becoming to inkjet what "serigraph" has been to screen printing since the 1930s. And "chromogenic color print" is to "C-print" (itself an abbreviation for the early Kodak Ektacolor type C process) what "silver gelatin print" is to all types of B&W prints made in the dark room on papers with silver-halide sensitized gelatin emulsions although some artists do add "RC" in the title to prints made on resin coated papers. Even "C-print" has become a generic term for any modern RA-4 process compatible color print.
The confusion abounds and not just in the art world - check out this recent article and have a laugh:
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/03/identifying_photocopy_machine.html
cheers,
Mark
-
That was stated by the IAFADP to achieve an Giclee approval.
Wikipedia: "Artists generally use giclée inkjet printing to make reproductions of their original two-dimensional artwork....."
I think Sven raises a good point here. "giclee" is how painters describe the photo reproductions of their paintings, so it also has the connotation of "non-original." I had several people at the show I've been posting about ask for the "original painting." Perhaps the take-away is that I should stop shooting still lifes that look like paintings :) (example attached for illlustrative purposes)