Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: snowdog on March 14, 2011, 07:00:00 pm

Title: both my paper and patience are running out!
Post by: snowdog on March 14, 2011, 07:00:00 pm
Epson R2880
Spyder2 express
Spyder3 Print SR
Lightroom 3
PS CS5
Windows 7 X64

I can't get a good print on Innova's IFA49. With the Epson Archival matte and Innova IFA14 I had no problems but with IFA49 I think there's a problem with the magenta. All the prints come out with too little saturation, a bit on the dark side and with a slight but very annoying greenish cast. I profiled the paper twice (on premium glossy and on premium Luster media settings) re-calibrated my screen, re-installed the printerdriver, printed testprints with different intents, even re-measured the profile targets, but still I can't get rid of the green cast and slight desaturation in the print compared to the softproof in CS5. Even the ifa49 profile from innova (though based on archival matte) produces the same result. Also a 5% more ink just made the print darker (and curlier).
The only thing I can think of is the lack of gamut on my fairly cheap (but calibrated) screen, since I am now printing on a paper that has a wider gamut then the matte papers? Mwah, the gamut of papers and printers are still less then the monitors?

I think i'm running out of options. Anyone here with a brilliant idea?

Greets,

Alex.
Title: Re: both my paper and patience are running out!
Post by: feppe on March 14, 2011, 07:02:27 pm
To rule out the unlikely screen calibration issue, post a sample image so we can check if there's a green cast. Well, others can since I'm traveling with a work laptop...

Modern photo printers have mostly a wider gamut than even a "wide-gamut" monitor, except for some colors. Not familiar with R2880's gamut.
Title: Re: both my paper and patience are running out!
Post by: snowdog on March 14, 2011, 07:28:06 pm
Okee, thanks Harri!
This is the file. I'm aware of the loss of contrast in the foreground caused by the shades of green. The yellowish field in the left isn't that yellow anymore (I think because of the green) and the tint of the sky comes out definitely greenish.

Greets,

Alex.
Title: Re: both my paper and patience are running out!
Post by: NikoJorj on March 15, 2011, 07:38:42 am
No physical problem such as a clogged nozzle (see nozzle check pattern)?
Title: Re: both my paper and patience are running out!
Post by: snowdog on March 15, 2011, 02:54:46 pm
Nope, I ran all the tests and utilities. No physical problem.
Title: Re: both my paper and patience are running out!
Post by: Jonathan Ratzlaff on March 15, 2011, 10:27:43 pm
Windows 7X 64 doesn't get along with spyder 2 software and you may not have a proper profile.  There are problems with the driver working properly.  There are other threads on the same issue.  This could be the cause of your problems.
Title: Re: both my paper and patience are running out!
Post by: Wayne Fox on March 16, 2011, 03:34:54 pm

The only thing I can think of is the lack of gamut on my fairly cheap (but calibrated) screen, since I am now printing on a paper that has a wider gamut then the matte papers?
to test a profile, you are better off printing a known target file, such as bill atkinson's Lab Test page.  If this fails to yield acceptable results, then the profile is suspect.  If it prints fine, but doesn't match your display, then your display calibration/profile may need some work.

I've never worked with that paper, but it possible for some matt papers to just not have much gamut in some colors.