Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: rgs on March 12, 2011, 01:33:16 pm

Title: Oklahoma!
Post by: rgs on March 12, 2011, 01:33:16 pm
From Mt. Scott in the Wichita Mountains NWR
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 12, 2011, 01:41:38 pm
Nice mood, simple tones, simple, effective composition, foreground silhouettes add to the sense of depth ... the only nitpick would be the branch "piercing" the sun.
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: Patricia Sheley on March 12, 2011, 03:43:40 pm
The location, the light , the tone, the mood ...all likes...but I so much want that sun to be somewhere else in the frame...Just putting it up on the screen and framing the sun in various ways with a viewcatcher shows so many great potentials...and each begs also Slobodan's observation of the tree tip...in this juxtaposition of proportions of tree to orb, not comfortable...

I hope you kept shooting and moved about a bit for some...It is a very good argument for the benefits of getting to a scene ahead of time and moving about with the camera off tripod to study framings, instead of going into "lockdown" too soon and missing some of the  great ones...Keep it up! Looks like you've found the places and settings that work to capture what you see, but don't cheat yourself of the chance to see the dynamic change a few inches can make...Nice work!
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: wolfnowl on March 12, 2011, 03:53:40 pm
Nicely done.  Looks more like Japan than Oklahoma but hey...  And yes, if the sun was just sitting on or above the branch, that would be good!

Mike.
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: GlennMorimoto on March 13, 2011, 12:03:31 pm
I agree with all the other responses.  I definitely agree with Mike, the image has a real Japanese vibe to it.  Great advice Patricia and Slobodan.
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: Twilightscapes on March 13, 2011, 01:21:43 pm
That's pretty sweet! I think this place is not too far from me either, I may need to make a trek and check it out.

Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: rgs on March 13, 2011, 10:22:20 pm
Thanks everyone. Others have mentioned the Asian look.

The Wichita Mountains are well worth a trip if your in the area (SW Oklahoma). This really is where the American Southwest begins.
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: Patricia Sheley on March 14, 2011, 11:21:47 am
Is this your neck of the woods...if so glad to hear that you can easily become intimate with the territory and continue very nice work...
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: stamper on March 14, 2011, 11:40:37 am
This is one of the best images I have seen on the site for a while. It immediately "hits" you, as a good image should. Some people seem to be able to express in words what they like in an image. For me it is a feeling that I can't really express, but I feel it. :)
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: rgs on March 14, 2011, 02:22:59 pm

Is this your neck of the woods...if so glad to hear that you can easily become intimate with the territory and continue very nice work...

I live a couple of hours away and know the area well. In fact, I'm headed out with a couple of grandsons in tow before sun up tomorrow. These boys are 8 & 9. Just the right age to discover the Wichitas.
 
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: Lonnie Utah on March 14, 2011, 05:26:06 pm
the only nitpick would be the branch "piercing" the sun.

Agreed.
Title: Re: Oklahoma!
Post by: Andrew Makiejewski on March 14, 2011, 10:10:34 pm
Very nice image indeed. Love the nice soft tones that really sets the mood of the image.