Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: bellimages on March 08, 2011, 02:15:11 pm

Title: High pitch squeek in Epson 7900
Post by: bellimages on March 08, 2011, 02:15:11 pm
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. If so, how might I correct it?

Periodically I hear a high pitch squeek on each pass of the print head, when it reaches the far end of the printer .... right when it changes direction. A bit annoying in an otherwise quiet studio. Fortunately it's only occurs about a third of the time. It either does it, or doesn't do it on a print. I mean, it never stops doing it halfway though a print.
Title: Re: High pitch squeek in Epson 7900
Post by: Ken on March 08, 2011, 03:03:48 pm
I haven't experienced it, but...

When printing bi-directionally, does it occur on both passes?
Is there a difference among types of papers and thicknesses?
Have you tried different thickness settings?
Are there any scratches on glossy paper?
Title: Re: High pitch squeek in Epson 7900
Post by: Sven W on March 08, 2011, 03:21:30 pm
Sounds like something is stuck in there. It's hard to nail it when I can't hear it. Record it? ;)

On the ink tubes there are clamps, holding the tubes in place when travelling back and forth.
They can suddenly start to make some weird noice.
Also when the automatic roll engine stretch the paper, it can give a "whistling" sound from the paper. Especially rc-papers.
But hard to say.

/Sven
Title: Re: High pitch squeek in Epson 7900
Post by: edt on March 09, 2011, 12:12:02 pm
Mine intermitttenly sqeaks as the head "returns" , moving left to right. Sounds like a bird chirping. Might mean that the end is coming in 2012  :D but hope it just means it squeaking and nothing more..
Title: Re: High pitch squeek in Epson 7900
Post by: bellimages on March 16, 2011, 09:57:16 pm
It seems to be caused by the change of direction of the print head ..... it's a squeak that sounds like it's caused by metal parts (not plastic)
Title: Re: High pitch squeek in Epson 7900
Post by: Sven W on March 16, 2011, 10:03:37 pm
I would call a tech.

/Sven
Title: Re: High pitch squeek in Epson 7900
Post by: bellimages on March 17, 2011, 12:25:37 am
I did a few days ago about a head strike problem (which was resolved). I asked about the squeak. Of course no one can diagnose over the phone .... and that's fair. I asked if it would be a warranty repair, and they said no. I'm not surprised .... and that's fair too.
Title: Re: High pitch squeek in Epson 7900
Post by: davidh202 on March 17, 2011, 08:28:39 pm
 Just a thought... 
If you look at the bushing that is at the top of the print head carriage that guides the carriage along the top guide bar while the head is parked, there are about 4 or 5 very small blue pads (wipers) that are built into that bushing and are probably there to prevent dirt from getting into the bearing that the carriage rides on.
I'd be willing to bet that is where the squeek is coming from.They may be dried out (if they require lubrication), or there may be something caught there. I'd ask the tekkies about that.
I am not advising any lubrication unless you are told to do it with the proper lubricant



   I have similar wiper pads that are in the cutter head of my CMC (computer mat cutter) that clean the guide rail of debris as the head travels so as to maintain smooth travel.  In order to properly maintain the cutter, my CMCs manufacturer (Fletcher Terry), advises that these pads (12 in all) need a drop or two of oil once a month to keep them moist so they do their job properlyso the head travels with no irregularity due to paper debris on the rails.I've religiously done this for the past 10 years  
David