Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: wolfnowl on March 05, 2011, 05:53:10 pm

Title: A Tip: Avoiding Head Clogs with Epson Printers
Post by: wolfnowl on March 05, 2011, 05:53:10 pm
from 'The Online Photographer' site: A Tip: Avoiding Head Clogs with Epson Printers (http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/03/a-tip-avoiding-head-clogs.html)

Mike.
Title: Re: A Tip: Avoiding Head Clogs with Epson Printers
Post by: bill t. on March 05, 2011, 07:06:01 pm
I'm pretty convinced he was rewarded for cleanliness more than humidification.

Most of the "clogs" I had with the 9880 were definitely crud contamination, very few were from other issues like low humidity.  A finger swipe across a rubber wiper blade that has not been cleaned in a while will support this assertion.  And those line-of-missing-nozzles patterns spoke eloquently of kitty hairs.  When I started covering up the top of the Epson things got much better in clog land.

I'm looking for something to cover the 8300, it's so big!  The paper path and head parking areas are very well protected from environmental dust, but that poor roll lives awfully close to my feelthy floor.
Title: Re: A Tip: Avoiding Head Clogs with Epson Printers
Post by: davidh202 on March 05, 2011, 09:21:51 pm
I read that a couple of days ago and was going to post it but thought the humidification issue has been well documented.
On the other hand I wonder how much creedence the LULA membership would give to the recommendations I happened across on this site.
I know they are promoting their own  products but much of what they say makes an awful lot of sense!

http://www.americaninkjetsystems.com/What_you_need_to_know.html  

http://www.americaninkjetsystems.com/inkjet_printer_maintenance.html

http://www.americaninkjetsystems.com/symphonic_inkjet_cleaning_fluid.html

 

 
Title: Re: A Tip: Avoiding Head Clogs with Epson Printers
Post by: Luca Ragogna on March 08, 2011, 07:47:38 pm
"I'm looking for something to cover the 8300, it's so big!  The paper path and head parking areas are very well protected from environmental dust, but that poor roll lives awfully close to my feelthy floor."

I'm using a motorcycle cover to cover my Epson 9890. Works great.
Title: Re: A Tip: Avoiding Head Clogs with Epson Printers
Post by: davidh202 on March 08, 2011, 08:54:47 pm
Just go to a home improvement store and buy a painters drop cloth, tarp, or plastic sheeting...all different sizes and qualities and thickness are available. Sheeting comes in rolls of different widths and may be found in a different department.You really don't need anything too heavy.Plastic will keep the humidity in better than canvas 
Ain't pretty, but gets the job done !!
Title: Re: A Tip: Avoiding Head Clogs with Epson Printers
Post by: Kirk Gittings on March 08, 2011, 10:10:43 pm
I  have used a somewhat similar solution-slipping a Guitar Humidifier next to the head and covering the printer with a plastic sheet. This solved my recurring problems with my 4000. Have not had any issues with my 3800.
Title: Re: A Tip: Avoiding Head Clogs with Epson Printers
Post by: kaelaria on March 08, 2011, 10:43:21 pm
A grill cover might look cool :)
Title: Re: A Tip: Avoiding Head Clogs with Epson Printers
Post by: Christopher on March 09, 2011, 04:35:28 am
Well I onow that I only get clogs when I am not watching the humidification. Once it drops below somewhere between 45-40 I have a few clogs in place.