Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: balster on March 05, 2011, 04:53:20 pm
-
Hi Guys,
Just wanted to share my new photoblog with you, dailyface.org
Shooting on Kodak Portra 400 film, still working out some kinks in scanning and grading.
Daily Face is about the intriguing quality of the human face. Balster van Duijn, a documentary filmmaker, likes to study and photograph the human character. These daily portraits focus on human frailty and the facial expressions that give someone character.
Have a look and tell me what you think about the scans, colors and off course the shots!
-
Hi Guys,
Just wanted to share my new photoblog with you, dailyface.org
Shooting on Kodak Portra 400 film, still working out some kinks in scanning and grading.
Daily Face is about the intriguing quality of the human face. Balster van Duijn, a documentary filmmaker, likes to study and photograph the human character. These daily portraits focus on human frailty and the facial expressions that give someone character.
Have a look and tell me what you think about the scans, colors and off course the shots!
As a photographer it is obvious that you would concentrate on the scans, colors and off course the shots!
As a visitor to your blog the first thing I did was to ask myself, "how do I navigate this blog?" It was not obvious that I had to click on the photo to navigate.
I'm not a big fan on clicking too much. I managed five clicks before I stopped.
A scrolling blog where you can see a weeks worth of faces or a slide show would make the viewing process more enjoyable. Only a small few will have the resolve to visit daily or to click too far into your blog.
Good luck with your project.
Cheers,
-
I agree with Tom about the clicking and the fact that there was no instruction on how to start through the blog. I'm apparently not that taken with portraiture as I was unimpressed. Clicked through less than a dozen and gave up.
-
The site's navigation could be better. A slideshow option would be good so you wouldn't need to keep clicking. And I'd like to see something more than just the faces, like a bio of the photographer and a mission statement. Some background info about each face might be interesting too.
As for the images, I thought it was a mixed bag. Some of the portraits were rather compelling and some kind of boring. The flash-on-camera lighting became a little tedious after a while. It was almost like you were trying a little too hard to make your subjects look weathered and desolate.
-
Ok thank you for the feedback, I will think about your comments!