Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Guilbault on March 02, 2011, 07:59:50 pm

Title: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mike Guilbault on March 02, 2011, 07:59:50 pm
My last Epson printer was the 1280 and I'm considering upgrading to the new 4900. I've read some reviews (mostly from here) but haven't found any data on the cost of running it.  The last time I looked at printer specs, the cost per 8x10 was a usual spec.  Is that still viable?  I realize that it'll depend on the image/paper etc., but is there an average?  How about how many 8x10s you can produce with a set of ink cartridges?  I'd appreciate any reference anyone can provide.
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 02, 2011, 09:08:22 pm
My last Epson printer was the 1280 and I'm considering upgrading to the new 4900. I've read some reviews (mostly from here) but haven't found any data on the cost of running it.  The last time I looked at printer specs, the cost per 8x10 was a usual spec.  Is that still viable?  I realize that it'll depend on the image/paper etc., but is there an average?  How about how many 8x10s you can produce with a set of ink cartridges?  I'd appreciate any reference anyone can provide.

There's enough data in my review on this website http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/the_epson_4900_printer_hands_on_and_down_to_work.shtml (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/the_epson_4900_printer_hands_on_and_down_to_work.shtml)for you to get what you need as well as it can be at this stage of experience with the printer.
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mike Guilbault on March 02, 2011, 10:11:46 pm
Thanks Mark... I was actually looking for your review - and found some references to it - but hadn't been able to track it down.  Much appreciated!
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 02, 2011, 10:18:20 pm
You are welcome, hope it helps.

I assume you are familiar with the *Search* function on this website's Home Page - it should have pulled up a ready reference to the article - if it didn't, something didn't happen right.
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mike Guilbault on March 02, 2011, 10:55:19 pm
That helped tremendously Mark - thanks again.  Actually - a lot more information than I needed to convince myself but worthwhile to read none-the-less.  ;)


Oh... one more question.  I see the dimensions of the printer are 34"(W) x 16"(H) x 30"(D), but what is the actual 'footprint' of the printer?  In other words, how big of a table (or how small of a table) can it be placed on?
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: wtlloyd on March 04, 2011, 10:47:59 am
The 4 rubber feet will safely sit on a 21" x 20" surface...that is, with a smidgen of room left on all four sides....
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: mikeguil on March 04, 2011, 11:24:37 am
That's perfect... I won't need a new printer stand then!
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Luca Ragogna on March 04, 2011, 12:40:54 pm
Hey Mike, if you bought the printer before Feb 28, I have an Epson Golden Ticket you can have to get a $500 rebate. Lemme know.
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mike Guilbault on March 04, 2011, 11:17:21 pm
The rebate goes until the end of March - got the rebate coupon online - but thanks!  Do you have this printer Luca?

Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mike Guilbault on March 04, 2011, 11:18:54 pm
About the paper feed?   What is the minimum paper size you can feed through the 4900?  8x10 I assume is ok - but how about 5x7 or 4x6?
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Randy Carone on March 05, 2011, 01:40:05 pm
No 5x7 or 4x6 on the 4900. You'll need a 3880 to go to 4x6.
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: dgberg on March 05, 2011, 02:00:08 pm
For the small ones print multiples per page and cut apart.
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mike Guilbault on March 06, 2011, 09:21:59 am
If you're using roll paper... what's the minimum cut?  In other words, lets say I wanted to print some 5x7s. Could I line them up to take 5" worth off the roll (so two 5x7s end to end in 'landscape' format as they come out of the printer)?  How about a strip of wallets at 2.5" in the same configuration?
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Luca Ragogna on March 06, 2011, 09:58:52 pm
The Golden Ticket is a special coupon you can use to get an additional $500 off the printer in conjunction with other rebates. It was offered on the 7890/9890 and 4900 until feb 28. If you haven't bought the printer yet get them to back date the invoice and I'll hook you up with the coupon.

I bought the 9890. I'm doing canvases for other photographers so I wanted to get a wide format.
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: wtlloyd on March 06, 2011, 10:16:45 pm
On the 4900, in Lightroom, I can get 17" roll paper to print and cut a minimum of 6". The Epson driver can be set to a minimum of 5", which is what I set it at (and 17" width). Nevertheless, it gave me just about a 3/4" border at the top and 5/8" at the bottom of two rows of wallet sized prints (one row 2 x 2.5 in portrait, and one row rotated to 2.5 x 2 under it). Some tweaking may find a way to cut closer at the top....
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mike Guilbault on March 07, 2011, 09:49:20 am
That sounds reasonable.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Mike Guilbault on March 07, 2011, 09:57:10 am
The Golden Ticket is a special coupon you can use to get an additional $500 off the printer in conjunction with other rebates. It was offered on the 7890/9890 and 4900 until feb 28. If you haven't bought the printer yet get them to back date the invoice and I'll hook you up with the coupon.

I bought the 9890. I'm doing canvases for other photographers so I wanted to get a wide format.

Luca... thanks for the offer... I won't be able to pickup the 4900 for a couple of weeks, so it probably won't fly.  I'm quite happy with the $500 mail-in so no worries.

Congrats on the 9890! I may contact you when I need something more than 17"!

cheers!
Title: Re: Considering Epson 4900
Post by: Luca Ragogna on March 07, 2011, 11:58:27 am
Please do. And I still owe you a coffee at some time  :)