Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: fredjeang on February 25, 2011, 02:22:21 pm
-
Hi,
What would be currently the smallest (and lighter) view/tech camera available to use with digibacks?
Thank you
-
Assuming you're ok with a tech camera without movements your options for really small/light tech cameras are:
- Alpa Travel Camera (aka Alpa TC)
- Cambo Compact
The absolute smallest/lightest body would be the Alpa TC without a grip, but that's splitting hairs as either one is very very small and light.
The Cambo has the (in my opinion very large) advantage of having tilt/swing lenses available. So while neither body has rise/fall/shift the Cambo Compact does have tilt/swing for many lenses.
If you're looking for bodies with movements (rise/fall/shift) then the options are much broader and I'd look into specifically the Alpa STC and Cambo Wide RS and Arca Swiss RM2D.
Full disclosure: we're a dealer for Cambo and Arca but not Alpa.
Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) ([email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/") | RSS Feed (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/08/11/rss-feeds/")
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/buy-capture-one/")
-
also the Arca Rm2D...
The Cambo WRS is really small and lightweight and offers a lot of features for a (relatively) moderate price.
-
Thanks Tho_mas. I forgot about the RM2D for a moment. I've added it now.
-
Thanks guys.
As we are in a miniaturized thread, I was also thinking if focusing in live video can be acheived with a pocket device instead of a laptop or tablet, like an Iphone for ex ?
(it's not that I'm against estimation or laser but it would be nice to know if a small digital solution exists if we are talking about small cameras, otherwise that would not make sense having to carry all the circus)
-
Thanks guys.
As we are in a miniaturized thread, I was also thinking if focusing in live video can be acheived with a pocket device instead of a laptop or tablet, like an Iphone for ex ?
(it's not that I'm against estimation or laser but it would be nice to know if a small digital solution exists if we are talking about small cameras, otherwise that would not make sense having to carry all the circus)
there is no pocket device to tether to.
Apparently the LCD of the new IQ backs is good enough to judge focussing ... and maybe there will be some kind of live (pre-)view (at low refresh rate, but still...)
-
there is no pocket device to tether to.
Apparently the LCD of the new IQ backs is good enough to judge focussing ... and maybe there will be some kind of live (pre-)view (at low refresh rate, but still...)
.... oh well, like in the "good old days" then.
-
Thanks guys.
As we are in a miniaturized thread, I was also thinking if focusing in live video can be acheived with a pocket device instead of a laptop or tablet, like an Iphone for ex ?
(it's not that I'm against estimation or laser but it would be nice to know if a small digital solution exists if we are talking about small cameras, otherwise that would not make sense having to carry all the circus)
= Phase One IQ (http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/iq/)
-
= Phase One IQ (http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/iq/)
::) I knew you gonna say that.
-
LoL.... me too. The IQ back, having the new cool screen would be a great device to tether to.
Ahem.
-
Hi,
What would be currently the smallest (and lighter) view/tech camera available to use with digibacks?
Thank you
Then there is the Flexbody with is small, light, and has tilt/shift and extension. Works very well with digital back. Major limitation is "V" lenses only.
Steve
-
Assuming you're ok with a tech camera without movements your options for really small/light tech cameras are:
- Alpa Travel Camera (aka Alpa TC)
- Cambo Compact
The absolute smallest/lightest body would be the Alpa TC without a grip, but that's splitting hairs as either one is very very small and light.
The Cambo has the (in my opinion very large) advantage of having tilt/swing lenses available. So while neither body has rise/fall/shift the Cambo Compact does have tilt/swing for many lenses.
If you're looking for bodies with movements (rise/fall/shift) then the options are much broader and I'd look into specifically the Alpa STC and Cambo Wide RS and Arca Swiss RM2D.
Full disclosure: we're a dealer for Cambo and Arca but not Alpa.
Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) ([email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/") | RSS Feed (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/08/11/rss-feeds/")
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/buy-capture-one/")
doug, i couldnt find much info on the cambo compact, just press releases. have you got any links for more info? cheers paul
-
Here's a link (http://www.specular.com.au/dloads/pdfs/Cambo%20Wide%20Family%202008.pdf) to a pdf brochure showing the DS, RS and Compact.
-
The compare was really interesting...... Intim I saw it has absolutely no movements :-\
The Silvestri Flexicam is a really small and light camera.
-
The compare was really interesting...... Intim I saw it has absolutely no movements :-\
Yes, hence the "Assuming you're ok with a tech camera without movements". Though the Compact does allow tilt-swing lenses, which can be useful.
-
What I use. V small light and has quite a bit of movement capability. Nicely built and can take a bit of punishment. Only drawback is that the lens has to move rather than the back... which makes stitching in tight spaces difficult.
http://www.gottschalt.de/de/kameras_02.html
-
What I use. V small light and has quite a bit of movement capability. Nicely built and can take a bit of punishment. Only drawback is that the lens has to move rather than the back... which makes stitching in tight spaces difficult.
http://www.gottschalt.de/de/kameras_02.html
i have never even heard of Gottschalt. Are they expensive?
-
i own the arca RM3D... if was was lloking for something smaller, i will go for the RM2D !
the cambo use old style focusing rings...
-
Then there is the Flexbody with is small, light, and has tilt/shift and extension. Works very well with digital back. Major limitation is "V" lenses only.
Steve
Got enough movement and quality ok still with movements?
Dennis
-
I own the Sinar Artec.
It has geared tilts,swings and vertical shifts (lens standard) and lateral shifts on the rear.It's not heavy (1,5Kg) and is 27cm wide.
For me,a camera with no tilts and shifts(with WA lenses) is not a real tec camera.
-
Hi there .. sorry for interlude ... the Gottschalt as far as I remember was in the same price range as the Cambo... although when I was getting it there were not many options with the Cambo (was still the 4x5 model afaik) and Cambo were difficult to pin down on price. I ended up getting a leaf back, 3 lenses and the gottschalt. I paid it off over 3 years for the same amount I was spending on 4x5 film, processing and couriers.
R
-
To my knowledge, that would be the Hasselblad ArcBody (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/arcbody.shtml). It is similar in size to the Hasselblad FlexBody, but uses Rodenstock view camera lenses (35mm, 45mm, 75mm) that are made specifically for it, allowing additional and much more extreme movements. I use it with a V96 digital back.
-
To my knowledge, that would be the Hasselblad ArcBody (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/arcbody.shtml). It is similar in size to the Hasselblad FlexBody, but uses Rodenstock view camera lenses (35mm, 45mm, 75mm) that are made specifically for it, allowing additional and much more extreme movements. I use it with a V96 digital back.
how are these lenses for digital use?
Henrik
-
how are these lenses for digital use?
Outstanding.
-
To my knowledge, that would be the Hasselblad ArcBody (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/arcbody.shtml). It is similar in size to the Hasselblad FlexBody, but uses Rodenstock view camera lenses (35mm, 45mm, 75mm) that are made specifically for it, allowing additional and much more extreme movements. I use it with a V96 digital back.
I hesitated to mention that option due to cost. The few used bodies, with lenses, that I have seen recently were in the range of $12k.
Steve