Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: cmp on February 23, 2011, 05:27:43 pm
-
So I pulled the trigger on QImage Ultimate, Parallels, and Windows 7. Now I'm trying to add multiple images to my layout. So far so good EXCEPT: When choosing my print placement as "Optimal", it scatters the images on the page layout (which I expected) except that it leaves me no straight paths to run through my roller trimmer vertical or horizontal. So I tried the "Compact" layout mode and it fixed some of that but then nearly doubles the area needed to print. Am I crazy for needing this and is it even possible or do I need to just bust out the scissors?
Thanks,
Ryan
-
If you are printing a bunch of images that are all different sizes there might not be any way around this except for printing in smaller batches, grouping similar sized images together.
If you are printing images that are all the same size you can try changing the size of the paper if you are using roll paper, sometimes a little longer run may cause the images to line up better. Or you could print less images, I find that QImage generally starts out symmetrical but may start turning images this way and that if you pack a lot in there.
If you are adding a border around each image you might want to fiddle with that as well.
Also you can place images manually which I do sometimes.
I sometimes just break out the scissors.
-
Do a full page edit and rotate some of the pics to reconfigure the page, see if it helps your alignment. I devised whole page picture packages for the school sports teams I shoot. When they select a package, I am printing whole 8x10 sheets for them, so I don't have to cut. Worth the added expense of sheets vrs roll.
-
I would also ask on the Qimage forum. They have some great help over there.
-
So I pulled the trigger on QImage Ultimate, Parallels, and Windows 7. Now I'm trying to add multiple images to my layout. So far so good EXCEPT: When choosing my print placement as "Optimal", it scatters the images on the page layout (which I expected) except that it leaves me no straight paths to run through my roller trimmer vertical or horizontal. So I tried the "Compact" layout mode and it fixed some of that but then nearly doubles the area needed to print. Am I crazy for needing this and is it even possible or do I need to just bust out the scissors?
Thanks,
Ryan
Yes, you have to sort the images a bit to get easier cutting in the end and still have better media economy. Some RIPs will do that kind of nesting better but there are also some basic rules they have to obey to when the prints have to be cut, the more differences in sizes and size ratios the more media is wasted. If it is about nesting larger images on wider rolls then I sometimes keep a bit more spacing -with Qimage borders- between the images and still use Optimal layout-nesting. Some precuts with scissors or the board cutter to create the groups that are stacked more tightly but cuttable on the trimmer. Smaller printing pages with fewer images works too. If that kind of jobs are repeating then it is wise to spend more time on the layout and save the result as a template in Qimage.
met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla
Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
-
Hi CMP,
I also upgraded the Qimage Ultimate.
They have great support at this site:
http://ddisoftware.com/tech/qimage-ultimate/
Hope this helps..