Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Dave Gurtcheff on February 22, 2011, 05:26:08 pm

Title: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on February 22, 2011, 05:26:08 pm
I did a book cover in PS, and some how gave it an invalid file name (or somehow renamed it) and it will not open. It will not allow me to change the file name, access the file, or even copy the file. I am due to deliver the file to my Client, and I am dead in the water. HELP!!!!!
Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Mark D Segal on February 22, 2011, 05:33:02 pm
Dave, you didn't say what OS you are on and what file extension the file now carries. That aside, I can't be too helpful on this because I;ve had no relevant experience, but as I read this post it occurred to me that some time in my distant past I recall seeing applications available for rescuing orphaned files by somehow correcting them and mating them to relevant applications. I think the product I saw back then was made by a firm called "Dataviz" if my memory serves me well. Check it out, or similar leads on a search and see whether you come up with some corrective app which will treat your file successfully.
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on February 22, 2011, 05:37:31 pm
Thanks Mark. I am using Windows XP. The file extension is .psd. I have no clue how I gave it or changed it to an improper file name. It usually warns if you try to use an illegal character. My gut feel is the file name is too long. I will check out the data recovery idea.
Thanks again
Dave
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Paul Sumi on February 22, 2011, 05:40:52 pm
Just grasping at straws. But if you're using Windows, I wonder if your computer somehow thinks the file is still being opened by an application.

Have you tried rebooting?  

Paul
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on February 22, 2011, 06:35:54 pm
You should be able to find the file in Windows Explorer pretty easily as long as you did not move it to a new folder.  Go to the folder and sort the files by date and see what the files names are.  Either the extension was inadvertently changed somehow or the file name itself.  I can't remember enough about XP to remember if there is a limitation on the length of the file name proper (there are some keyboard characters that cannot be used because of legacy issues but you should get a message that such a file name with those is invalid).  The other thing to look at is the Recycle Bin to make sure that the file was not inadvertently deleted (believe me it's happened to me over the years).

Hope this helps.
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on February 22, 2011, 06:51:36 pm
Paul: Just tried it...didn't work.
Thanks
Dave
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: kevk on February 22, 2011, 07:24:36 pm
"It will not allow me to change the file name, access the file, or even copy the file" -- This sort of behaviour usually means the file is open in some application so rebooting fixes it. Can you even see the file at all in windows explorer?
To make sure you are seeing the full actual filesname of the file and it has not accidentally been "hidden", in Windows Explorer's "Tools" menu, select "Folder Options", the "View" tab, and...
- select the following: "Show hidden files, folders and drives".
- deselect "Hide extensions for known file types"
- deselect "Hide protected operating system files"

Once you can see the file, and the name REALLY does end in .psd, right-click on the file and look at its Properties - the "Security" tab. Your user name (or a group you are in) should have "Full control" access to the file.
Please give as much detail of error messages as you can in your reply, maybe even screen shots.
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Paul Sumi on February 22, 2011, 07:58:26 pm
Paul: Just tried it...didn't work.

Dave,

More straw-grasping... have you tried disabling your antivirus or firewall software (first unplugging your Internet connection, naturally).

Also, do you have more than one version of Photoshop on your PC? Perhaps the older version is now trying to open the file, but can't?

Paul

 
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on February 22, 2011, 11:49:40 pm
I can see the file in Explorer. It has a .psd extension. In fact, in Photoshop, I go to "OPEN", select the file from the folder, and I get an error message that says "The above file name is invalid". I ran CHK DSK and it did not help. When I highlight the file in Explorer, and right click, I only get limited options....Change File Name is not one of them.  Any help appreciated. IF I can't fix, I spend the better part ot tomorrow recreating the cover.
Regards
Dave
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on February 23, 2011, 01:17:42 am
Hi,

Any funny characters in the filename?

Try to rename it. Try aaa.psd.

You don't happen to have a hidden extension?

Best regards
Erik


I can see the file in Explorer. It has a .psd extension. In fact, in Photoshop, I go to "OPEN", select the file from the folder, and I get an error message that says "The above file name is invalid". I ran CHK DSK and it did not help. When I highlight the file in Explorer, and right click, I only get limited options....Change File Name is not one of them.  Any help appreciated. IF I can't fix, I spend the better part ot tomorrow recreating the cover.
Regards
Dave

Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Gemmtech on February 23, 2011, 01:19:26 am
This has happened to me a few times and the only thing that ever worked was open PS, go to recent files and try to open from there.  If you have a couple different files of the same image try opening the oldest most recent file.  If it's not in your most recent list go to preferences and make PS show more recent files.  It's a corrupted file.  Oh, can you copy file to another computer.
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Anthony.Ralph on February 23, 2011, 03:41:11 am
I have used a small program called 'Unlocker' with some success with recalcitrant files. Perhaps that might help?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Anthony.
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Frankomatic on February 23, 2011, 04:08:03 am
The path to the file and the file name itself can add up to 256 characters long.  More than that and Windows Explorer won't let you modify the file name but you can modify the names of folders in the path to the file.  If you think the file name is too long, it's quite possible you've moved the file and now it has a path that exceeds the 256 char limit (though doing that should have produced an error).

The psd file extension appears to be correct, so I wouldn't modify that.  But I would try to modify the file name without changing the extension.  That way, if Explorer doesn't let you modify the name there's a good chance that you're only problem is the length of the path.  In that case I'd shorten the names of a couple folders in the path then try to modify the file name again.  You can physically count the characters, or keep shortening folder names until you reach a point where Explorer finally allows you to modify the file name.  I suspect at that point you would also be able to open the file in PS, given it's not corrupted or has some other issue.

Regards,
Frank
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Oldfox on February 23, 2011, 05:17:51 am
My 2 cents.

- Check that your hard disk is not full.
- You can see the file in Windows Explorer. So make a copy of it (activate it with one left mouse click, Edit->Copy, Edit->Paste). Normally it appears last in the list.
- Rename it (activate the copy with one left mouse click, File->Rename). Give something simple like abc.psd

ps. I assume that you have followed kevk's suggestions. Especially "Hide extensions for known file types" is important.
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: ScottWylie on February 23, 2011, 11:57:58 am
The path to the file and the file name itself can add up to 256 characters long.  More than that and Windows Explorer won't let you modify the file name but you can modify the names of folders in the path to the file.  If you think the file name is too long, it's quite possible you've moved the file and now it has a path that exceeds the 256 char limit (though doing that should have produced an error).

Regards,
Frank


From what you've described Frank's suggestion would seem like the correct one, you can browse to it in Windows explorer but when you try and open it Windows can't cope with the 'open file with application' type command where the full path is longer than 256 Characters.

Try copying it to your C:\ drive (not in a folder) using copy/paste in Windows explorer?
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on February 23, 2011, 12:29:54 pm

FILE OPEN!!! You folks are fabulous!
I moved the entire FOLDER from it's old path to the Desktop. Viola! It opens. I was NOT aware the file name character length limitation included the path. I tried to trace my history to see what happened. It was this:
When working on the project it's file path was short; something like this:
 C:\SCRATCH FOLDER\Project Name Folder\Individual files.
When I finished the project, I DID lengthen the file name with a modifier something like this: Final Cover-TEXT LAYERS INTACT etc etc etc.psd. So far so good. File opens OK.
Final step before delivery was to move folder to where I archive, a much longer path; something like this:
C:\My Documents\My Pictures\Photoshop Processed\Client Folder\Project Folder\Individual files.
Winows allowed the move of the folder.
Then my problems started. Merely moving the folder back to a shorter path solved the problem. Needless to say, I am shortening the file name.
You folks saved my day.
Thank you all.
Dave Gurtcheff
The path to the file and the file name itself can add up to 256 characters long.  More than that and Windows Explorer won't let you modify the file name but you can modify the names of folders in the path to the file.  If you think the file name is too long, it's quite possible you've moved the file and now it has a path that exceeds the 256 char limit (though doing that should have produced an error).

The psd file extension appears to be correct, so I wouldn't modify that.  But I would try to modify the file name without changing the extension.  That way, if Explorer doesn't let you modify the name there's a good chance that you're only problem is the length of the path.  In that case I'd shorten the names of a couple folders in the path then try to modify the file name again.  You can physically count the characters, or keep shortening folder names until you reach a point where Explorer finally allows you to modify the file name.  I suspect at that point you would also be able to open the file in PS, given it's not corrupted or has some other issue.

Regards,
Frank



FILE
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Mark D Segal on February 23, 2011, 12:44:56 pm
Really glad it worked out for you. I was a user of Windows (until I switched to Mac - but don't know whether OSX would cause the same kind of problem). It would be good if Microsoft built a warning into the OS telling users they were about to save a file with an inoperable Explorer path.
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Anthony.Ralph on February 23, 2011, 01:21:47 pm
Good to hear you got it fixed. A lesson for us all here - well, me anyway...

Anthony.
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on February 23, 2011, 02:36:00 pm
Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, I agree, it would behoove Microsoft to make Windows more idiot proof. I was amazed when I found out Windows would allow moving a folder, then balk because the file path was invalid. Lesson well learned by me...thanks to the kind help received here.
 ::)Dave
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 23, 2011, 03:30:54 pm
Dave,

Thanks for doing the suffering for the rest of us! I am reminded that some of my paths are getting a bit long, but I haven't hit the wall yet.

Eric
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Patricia Sheley on February 23, 2011, 05:11:09 pm
As with others here, I have the Evening and Evening /Schewe tomes behind me at my work area.  Underneath those a troubleshooting folder. Just printed this out, not only because of the various possible sorts, but because Dave actually took the time to lay out exactly what he found on the way to solution. Some time ago I hit panic mode well into the wee hours prepping exhibition prints and could not access the last 16x20.  Cannot open this file... (turned out I had it open on another screen and minimized) had thought at the time must be open in bridge somehow...This is the stuff of "community" .  I do sit back from the screen often and say "thankyou for that" as I read the back and forths of various members of this community and consider myself fortunate to take part time to time...(It is one of the foremost reasons I consider the "advertising" complaints to be absolute lunacy...)

You've been welcomed into the home of some very fine, knowledgeable and GENEROUS individuals...you do NOT tell them how to hold their martini or margherita....A warm and fullsome thanks...
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on February 23, 2011, 05:13:22 pm
Great!

FILE OPEN!!! You folks are fabulous!
I moved the entire FOLDER from it's old path to the Desktop. Viola! It opens. I was NOT aware the file name character length limitation included the path. I tried to trace my history to see what happened. It was this:
When working on the project it's file path was short; something like this:
 C:\SCRATCH FOLDER\Project Name Folder\Individual files.
When I finished the project, I DID lengthen the file name with a modifier something like this: Final Cover-TEXT LAYERS INTACT etc etc etc.psd. So far so good. File opens OK.
Final step before delivery was to move folder to where I archive, a much longer path; something like this:
C:\My Documents\My Pictures\Photoshop Processed\Client Folder\Project Folder\Individual files.
Winows allowed the move of the folder.
Then my problems started. Merely moving the folder back to a shorter path solved the problem. Needless to say, I am shortening the file name.
You folks saved my day.
Thank you all.
Dave Gurtcheff

FILE
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on February 23, 2011, 10:04:10 pm
Eric: you are welcome. What a Great Community here, that we can put our backrounds, and Professional interests aside and help each other. I hope I can return the favor soon....
BTW I am a 74 year old "Amateur", still learning.
Dave
Title: Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
Post by: bradleygibson on February 24, 2011, 09:28:21 am
Great to hear your file is accessible again, Dave!