Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on February 20, 2011, 04:27:24 pm

Title: Vietnam Memorial
Post by: armand on February 20, 2011, 04:27:24 pm
Probably beaten to death and better than this but I cannot let go on some of my older shots that I'm trying to resurrect.
Taken 1 year apart, Nikon D50, kit lens 18-55 (the older lens, without VR), cheap tripod.
Title: Re: Vietnam Memorial
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 20, 2011, 06:41:35 pm
The color version is too documentary and postcard-ish for me. The black and white however, is much better: less elements, simplified composition and tonality, human element blurred through motion (like ghosts, quite appropriate for a monument to the fallen). A few nitpicks: I would clone away the bright spot (light reflection) on the far left, open up the shadows a tiny little bit, and try to recover blown highlights in the Washington Monument.
Title: Re: Vietnam Memorial
Post by: candide on February 20, 2011, 07:17:48 pm
+1 for the B&W shot. Very nice.
Title: Re: Vietnam Memorial
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 20, 2011, 11:49:28 pm
I agree with Slobodan's comments.

Eric
Title: Re: Vietnam Memorial
Post by: navinsarmaphoto on February 21, 2011, 12:40:09 am
i like the B&W, wish you had more detail in the monument though
Title: Re: Vietnam Memorial
Post by: armand on February 22, 2011, 04:44:57 pm
Quote
A few nitpicks: I would clone away the bright spot (light reflection) on the far left, open up the shadows a tiny little bit, and try to recover blown highlights in the Washington Monument.
I missed that white spot as I was focused more on how much should I adjust the exposure. I didn't try to put any detail in the monument as there is minimal detail to be recovered to start with.
Here are two versions.
Title: Re: Vietnam Memorial
Post by: tokengirl on February 22, 2011, 05:18:01 pm
I agree with Slobodan's comments.

Eric

Me too, although I don't mind the blown out monument.  In fact, I kind of like that it's practically glowing.
Title: Re: Vietnam Memorial
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 23, 2011, 01:37:22 pm
Me too, although I don't mind the blown out monument.  In fact, I kind of like that it's practically glowing.
I like it too: in fact, I thought that was the main purpose of the shot.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Vietnam Memorial
Post by: armand on February 23, 2011, 10:15:32 pm
The idea was (if I remember correctly) to create a connection between the heroes and the sky through the Washington monument. I helped that the lights were guiding towards it and I actually liked it that bright, as a continuation of the lights. But then again, at that time I didn't care that much about the concept of "detail", it was almost 4 years ago.