Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Paul2660 on February 15, 2011, 12:44:12 pm

Title: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: Paul2660 on February 15, 2011, 12:44:12 pm
For 8300 users out there,
What is the largest size print you can make on a 8.5 x 11 cut sheet? and 13 x 19.

Example, can you print a 8 x 10 from a 8.5" x 11" sheet? and on a 13 x 19 can
you print a 12.5 x 18.5?

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: Rob Reiter on February 15, 2011, 01:39:06 pm
With an 8300 there is a .2" unprintable border on both sides and the leading edge of sheet paper. On the trailing edge, there is an unprintable area of about 1", or maybe .9".
Title: Re: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: Paul2660 on February 15, 2011, 07:21:17 pm
Rob

Thanks for the info.  By .2" per side I am figuring that to be just a bit larger than
3/16 per side.  So should I  be able to get a 8 x 10 from a 8.5 x 11 inch sheet? 

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: Rob Reiter on February 15, 2011, 07:30:04 pm
On an 8.5x11 sheet, you may get only 9.8 inches, maybe a hair more. Frustrating!
Title: Re: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: neile on February 15, 2011, 08:13:09 pm
Paul, the margin isn't equal all around. The trailing edge is very long (almost 1"). So no, you can't get an 8x10". I don't bother with cut sheets on the 8300 because of this, and still use my 5100 for cut sheet work.

Neil
Title: Re: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: cgoss on February 15, 2011, 08:40:47 pm
Paul, the margin isn't equal all around. The trailing edge is very long (almost 1"). So no, you can't get an 8x10". I don't bother with cut sheets on the 8300 because of this, and still use my 5100 for cut sheet work.

My 8300 showed up a few weeks ago and I've been scratching my head over the unequal 8.5x11 margins ever since.  I won't be printing small cut sheet for long but had several sample packs sitting around and it seemed a good way to get to know the printer and papers.  Funny that in my correspondence with Canon they seemed unaware of the issue.
Title: Re: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: neile on February 15, 2011, 09:19:05 pm
I asked about it on the Canon IPF wiki before I purchased, and it's listed in the tech specs for the printer :(

Neil
Title: Re: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: cgoss on February 16, 2011, 12:59:03 pm
I asked about it on the Canon IPF wiki before I purchased, and it's listed in the tech specs for the printer :(

Thanks Neil.  I will go take another look at the specs.  Are you able to print larger cut sheets without the uneven margin?
Title: Re: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: neile on February 16, 2011, 03:56:38 pm
No. The trailing edge margin is always larger than the other margins.

Neil
Title: Re: Print size on cut sheet with Canon ipf8300
Post by: cgoss on February 16, 2011, 05:02:14 pm
Thanks again Neil.  Not intuitive but plain as day in the specs.  Wish it were otherwise but at least now I can now stop beating myself up about my lousy printing skills.