Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: mrkjhn on February 11, 2011, 07:43:10 pm

Title: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: mrkjhn on February 11, 2011, 07:43:10 pm
I wonder if anyone has had a bit more time with external battery systems (Hypermac, Quickertek, etc...) for their Macbook Pro and would share their experiences.  Looking for a bit more user feedback before making a purchase.  -Thanks
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: ChristopherBarrett on February 11, 2011, 09:57:55 pm
I bought an iWorkCase and their HyperMac battery with it.

IT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!

Between the external and on board batteries I can easily get through a 10 hour work day without plugging in.

Word.

CB
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: adammork on February 12, 2011, 12:31:36 am
I bought an iWorkCase and their HyperMac battery with it.

IT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!


Yes it is!!

/adam
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: Bernhard on February 12, 2011, 05:32:28 am
I have used the batterygeek 130, been very good

http://www.batterygeek.net/130Wh-Mobile-Freedom-Power-MFP-130-3V-28V-p/mfp130_batterygeek.htm (http://www.batterygeek.net/130Wh-Mobile-Freedom-Power-MFP-130-3V-28V-p/mfp130_batterygeek.htm)

heard somewhere hypermac and batterygeek where identical except for design?

I used velcro tape between the MBP and the battery
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: gebseng on February 12, 2011, 05:41:51 am
well, here's my cheapo solution:

I bought a couple of those: Philips Power2Go SCE7640 Rechargeable power pack ( http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=EN&scy=GB&ctn=SCE7640/12 ), they run for apr. € 65,- each, have a 19-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery and can power a 13" unibody macbook pro for about 2 hrs.

I got a cheap macbook magsafe power adapter like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/60W-MagSafe-Power-Adapter-MacBook-A1184-/160540105155?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item2560ef99c3#ht_2251wt_963 (around € 22,- with shipping), just to use the cable and magsafe adapter.
Instead, you could also get the original Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter for € 45,- (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB441Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=MTA4NDE2Mjc)

You can get easy instructions for manufacturing the magsafe cable here: http://mikegyver.com/support/downloads/files/Magsafedoityourself.pdf
(the Philips power pack comes with the cable/plug you will need for the other end of the magsafe cable)

Obviously, this needs some work to manufacture the cable, but is MUCH cheaper than any other solution. Also, since you have several power packs, you can start recharching one while using a fresh one.

geb
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: Morgan_Moore on February 18, 2011, 01:32:56 pm
As I have moved into filming and stills I have become aware of Vlock batteries

Many filming items run off them  (sound recorder, 5d, monitor)

I wish they ran things like my Q flashes too !

it would seem they may offer a solution for Mac with a battery that could be useful on LED lights or other thinkgs you may need to power ..

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=vl-mac&mainMenuItemToSlide=15&asi=vl-mr2&asi2=vl-175

S
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: haring on February 21, 2011, 12:31:02 pm
I bought an iWorkCase and their HyperMac battery with it.

IT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!

Between the external and on board batteries I can easily get through a 10 hour work day without plugging in.

Word.

CB

WOW! :)
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: mrkjhn on February 28, 2011, 12:57:34 pm
10 hours would be perfect; which Hypermac model are you using, the 150 or 222 WattHour?
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: DeeJay on February 28, 2011, 06:57:01 pm
Another Vote for the Hyper Mac. They just work.
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: mrkjhn on February 28, 2011, 11:27:48 pm
Details as to which battery model and actual run times for a Macbook Pro 15" with heavy use under shooting conditions?  (Hypermac's site uses Apple's estimated times as a base, which is rarely possible to achieve unless you're doing next to nothing.)
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: Bernhard on March 14, 2012, 06:24:04 am
Don't buy Batterygeek at all. after 2 dead models I went for Hyperjuice. Got the 150 version for my 17" MBP. 10 hours is doable

also is the costumer service for batterygeek is non-existent
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: Kitty on March 14, 2012, 06:59:28 am
+1 Don't buy Batterygeek. I bought 2 and both dead after a few months. Cannot change battery. Very bad support. Macsafe cable from them also very bad quality. Melt since the 1st day I used. Cannot claim.
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: Bernhard on March 14, 2012, 07:07:44 am
also one difference with Batterygeek and Hyperjuice is that Batterygeek can't charge the MBP like HyperJuice. And you can modify the MBP power adapter to charge the Hyperjuice battery
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: paul_jones on March 14, 2012, 03:08:16 pm
As I have moved into filming and stills I have become aware of Vlock batteries

Many filming items run off them  (sound recorder, 5d, monitor)

I wish they ran things like my Q flashes too !

it would seem they may offer a solution for Mac with a battery that could be useful on LED lights or other thinkgs you may need to power ..

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=vl-mac&mainMenuItemToSlide=15&asi=vl-mr2&asi2=vl-175

S

thanks for this link. a very nice solution, v - mount batteries are available everywhere and you can charge them with multi chargers.

paul
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: Frank Doorhof on March 16, 2012, 03:53:52 am
Ordered something a few years ago from Batterygeek, they kept my payment till 30 days and then it went silent.
Before that they responded to my mails quickly, always with the message it was out of stock (on the site it was in stock).

After the 30 days it was too late to claim my money back and the big silence started.
I decided to mail as a new customer from a different account and voila contact.
When I said (after 3 mails) I was in fact who I was and asked about my order that was still not delivered it was the big silence again.

NEVER buy from Batterygeek, I'm out of 450.00 and never saw a product or my money back.
Title: Re: External Battery Solutions for Macbook Pro
Post by: Kitty on March 16, 2012, 08:22:47 am
Have anyone tried Hawkwoods DV-MAC? Is it good?
Being able to replace batteries is very good idea.
I plan to order one now.