Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: sponch on February 10, 2011, 05:44:10 am
-
Hi,
I've had a PA241W for 4 weeks now. An old Samsung 20" TN-Panel is used as sec. monitor.
I'm quite happy with the NEC - only the "sharpness" of text is horrible compared to my old TN. I don't knwo if it really is a matter of sharpness but text looks just some kind of ....mh...shimmer around itself.... don't know how to describe. Maybe I try to take a photo of it. So, Text on my Samsung looks more sharp and seems to have more contrast.
I tried to get used to it but really can't.
Also contacted NEC ..they could test the monitor (~10 days without it..). Before I do that I just wanted to ask if someone has made a similar experience with that moinitor.
Info: I use Win7; clear type activated (tried to modify clear type settings); also tried to deactivate clear type but then it's even worse. And yes I use the native resolution of the monitor ;-)
Spent 900€ on that monitor. So I'm quite unhappy about the fact that text is displayed so bad...
Sponch
-
May be the anti glare layer in the panel. i just set a little further back and it fades when i see it.
Try changing the font type / scale as well.
-
Are you running the monitor in it's native resolution of 1920 x 1200? If you're not then the text can be unsharp.
-
And yes I use the native resolution of the monitor ;-)
-
I have the same monitor and text is razorsharp. Didi you connect it via DVI, display port or VGA?
-
DVI. already tried differnet cables and PCs.
-
Some things to check on the OSD settings:
1. Expansion setting - change to "OFF". Does the video still fill the entire screen? When you move the mouse to each corner of the screen, does it stop right at the corners?
2. Left/Right Down/Up - should be set to 50%
3. Sharpness - is this set to 0? (select and press the RESET button)
4. Look on the "i" tab - does it show "DVI and" 1920x1200 resolution and "Digital"?
5. Go to the Advanced OSD menu (RGB menu then select "advanced setting") and on tab 5 - is H.Resolution 1920 and V.Resolution 1200?
-
Hi WilH,
Some things to check on the OSD settings:
1. Expansion setting - change to "OFF". Does the video still fill the entire screen? When you move the mouse to each corner of the screen, does it stop right at the corners?
2. Left/Right Down/Up - should be set to 50%
3. Sharpness - is this set to 0? (select and press the RESET button)
4. Look on the "i" tab - does it show "DVI and" 1920x1200 resolution and "Digital"?
5. Go to the Advanced OSD menu (RGB menu then select "advanced setting") and on tab 5 - is H.Resolution 1920 and V.Resolution 1200?
Everything is set to your suggestions but unfortunately it did not get better...
here are 2 shots I did with my cam. Maybe you get an idea of what I am talking... but forget the red color and stripes in the photo of the NEC - this looks absolutely okay in real -must be the panel type).
-
Ah - that herringbone type pattern looks like EM/RFI interference on the cable. Also, the white levels are drastically different - that looks almost pinkish white versus a flat gray.
-
hi plekto, the red color is only in that photography. In real it is a clear white and there is also no pattern when watching the monitor with your eyes (not cam ;.) .. so u think it might be a cable problem? I have already tried different ones...
I'm going crazy... think I should swap it but am a bit afraid that the swapped monitor will have the same "problem"... but even my 200€ netbook has a clearer font than my NEC...
Or do you think this shimmering is just normal for IPS panels??
-
How about turning the brightness down - does that change the effect ?
or contrast ?
Do you have fluorescent lights on in the room ?
-
Also - grasping at straws - is your video card driver up to date?
-
Hi sponch,
I was wondering what the resolution to the issue was. Did you get a replacement screen or was it the video card?
Thanks :)
-
Hi together,
it's been a time but....
the problem is still there but I think I've got used to it after the months of use..still I prefer my old tft for reading texts... graphic card is not the reason (newest driver) because I connected the display with my Thinkpad via DVI but text seems unsharp to me,too. I could order a swap from NEC but if the problem still exists nothing would change and I would maybe even get an older monitor...
-
Hi Sponch!
Thanks for the reply back. You got PM.
-
Hi all,
I have the same problem with my new PA241W and I think I understood why. I tried with two notebooks having built-in video card with Intel GMA 4500MHD chipset. On both the software declared that the native mode 1920X1200 is switched on but in OSD menu of the monitor lower resolution was reported.
So my solution was:
1- update the chipset drivers from Intel site (not sure it is necessary but it's generally healthy)
2- in the Intel graphical media accelerator driver software (Display->Custom Resolution): create new custom resolution mode 1920x1200 60Hz
By this operation it will ask you that this mode already exists and if you really want to replace it. Do so and it will switch the correct resolution immediately. Don't worry, your video card han handle much higher resolutions.
Seems as the bug in the graphic card software that is preatty easy to overcome.