Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: NickCroken on February 09, 2011, 11:55:20 am

Title: Epson 9880 print preview shifting colours
Post by: NickCroken on February 09, 2011, 11:55:20 am
I recently purchased an epson 9880 and am having a bit of a problem with my colours on canvas.  I am printing using qimage after editing the image in LR3 and CS5 (where the colours are spot on).  Even when I import the images into Qimage and place them on the canvas they are looking true.  The issue arises as soon as I click print preview.  My colours and contrast go through the roof and do transfer through to the print. 

I've tried creating a new profile for the canvas (epson premium matte) using a 700+ colour patch sample using a spyder and the profile was created successfully.  My monitor is a NEC Spectraview 2690wuxi2 which is calibrated every few days.  Trying different settings in my printer options such as relative, colormetric and perceptual do nothing to change the color.  The only time I can get close to accurate color is when I turn printer color management off.

I'm losing my mind trying to figure this out!

- Nick
Title: Re: Epson 9880 print preview shifting colours
Post by: Sven W on February 10, 2011, 10:13:21 am
I'm not using Qimage, but what's the result when printing directly from Photoshop or LR?

/Sven
Title: Re: Epson 9880 print preview shifting colours
Post by: NickCroken on February 10, 2011, 11:59:37 am
I haven't tried that as the general consensus seems to be that I'd be foolish to print straight out of either of those.

I believe I have fixed the problem though.
Title: Re: Epson 9880 print preview shifting colours
Post by: dgberg on February 10, 2011, 12:12:42 pm
I haven't tried that as the general consensus seems to be that I'd be foolish to print straight out of either of those.

I believe I have fixed the problem though.

Photoshop might not be the favorite of many for printing but Lightroom is the probably used by more  printmakers then any other program.
Not sure where you got your info but you are certainly missing out and being mislead by someone to say the least.
Title: Re: Epson 9880 print preview shifting colours
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 07, 2011, 11:58:13 pm
I haven't tried that as the general consensus seems to be that I'd be foolish to print straight out of either of those.

I believe I have fixed the problem though.

There is no such general consensus and there's nothing foolish whatsoever about printing out of Photoshop or Lightroom. Do you seriously believe that anyone who prints successfully must be using a RIP? It' just not so. I'm not questioning the usefulness or qualities of RIPs, but countless more people make fine prints from PS and LR.

How did you fix the problem - I'm curious. Was there double colour management going on in your system before you turned one of them off?
Title: Re: Epson 9880 print preview shifting colours
Post by: NickCroken on March 08, 2011, 12:03:06 am
There was a case of double colour management.  I turned off the colour management in Qimage and set my profile in the epson 9880 driver settings.
Title: Re: Epson 9880 print preview shifting colours
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 08, 2011, 12:39:07 am
There was a case of double colour management.  I turned off the colour management in Qimage and set my profile in the epson 9880 driver settings.

I thought so. Thanks for confirming.
Title: Re: Epson 9880 print preview shifting colours
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on March 08, 2011, 02:48:59 am
There was a case of double colour management.  I turned off the colour management in Qimage and set my profile in the epson 9880 driver settings.

Nothing wrong with Qimage's CM for color in my experience. Using the ICC profiles in Qimage and switching off driver's color control offers far more choices in colour management.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst



New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm