Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: candide on February 04, 2011, 01:23:02 am
-
One from today.
-
Nice composition. And I really like the low values in this shot. The archway looks very moody.
-
And the running figure just makes it, IMHO. Nice.
Eric
-
Really fine street shot, Candide. Bravo! As Pop said, the low mid-tones are great.
-
And the running figure just makes it, IMHO. Nice.
Eric
The running figure is the picture. No disrespect, but delete that and there isn't a lot left other than a good, straight record shot. IMO.
Isn't it a studio complex, or is that another pier?
Rob C
-
The running figure is the picture. No disrespect, but delete that and there isn't a lot left other than a good, straight record shot. IMO.
Rob, You're right. But with the figure it's a fine street shot, mainly because of the time of day, the play between the bright street in the background and the dark foreground with its well-defined shades of gray. Without the figure it wouldn't be much, and without the background it'd be even less. But put them together and you really have something.
-
Really nice job Candide. The lighting and tonalities are excellent.
-
Thank you all for your comments. Yes, I think the running figure is pretty important to the scene. Fortunately there's a lot of foot traffic on that sidewalk so you don't have to wait long for someone to come by.
Pier 9 in San Francisco is an actual working pier for cruise ships of various kinds. I've been by it many times and I've always been curious about what's inside. It almost looks like there's an entire village in there.
I'm very pleased with how the B&W conversion came out using Photoshop. It was just a matter of choosing the right B&W conversion filter. I didn't need to do much else besides a little tweaking of curves.
-
Thank you all for your comments. Yes, I think the running figure is pretty important to the scene. Fortunately there's a lot of foot traffic on that sidewalk so you don't have to wait long for someone to come by.
Pier 9 in San Francisco is an actual working pier for cruise ships of various kinds. I've been by it many times and I've always been curious about what's inside. It almost looks like there's an entire village in there.I'm very pleased with how the B&W conversion came out using Photoshop. It was just a matter of choosing the right B&W conversion filter. I didn't need to do much else besides a little tweaking of curves.
Just realised: I was mixing it up with Pier 59 Studios in New York! Ooops... senior moment.
Rob C