Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: feppe on February 02, 2011, 01:59:19 pm

Title: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: feppe on February 02, 2011, 01:59:19 pm
I received a very unwelcome notice from Mozy that they're getting rid of their most attractive Unlimited plan:

Quote
...we’re replacing our MozyHome Unlimited backup plan and introducing the following tiered storage plans:

50 GB for $5.99 per month (includes backup for 1 computer)
125 GB for $9.99 per month (includes backup for up to 3 computers)

Additional 20 gigs costs 2 USD per month.

Given that my photos alone are several times the 9.99 plan and I'd end up spending hundreds of dollars per month, I'm leaving Mozy.

Any good alternatives for online off-site backup? I think I have around a terabyte to backup.
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: marcgoldring on February 02, 2011, 02:06:11 pm
I have used Backblaze for quite some time and am quite pleased. Of course, it will take slightly less than forever to back up a TB. But their service is reliable, good support, reasonable price.

Cheers,

Marc
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: JeffKohn on February 02, 2011, 06:29:26 pm
I recently heard about CrashPlan (http://b4.crashplan.com/consumer/compare.html ) but have not tried it yet. They have an unlimited option, and also apparently have an option to seed the initial backup using a hard drive (I still need to look into the details on that).
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: feppe on February 03, 2011, 02:39:06 pm
While most of the online storage/cloud services are useful for home of business files, I find using them for large data storage to be overly costly or silly in theory.

Either find another cloud storage site, ship a drive with everything to get you started and then just update incrementally from there or...

Buy a Newertech sata drive dock, get cheap bare sata 1tb or 2tb drives and keep offsite copies at regular intervals, either at home if you use a business location, a family house, a friends place, a bank safety deposit box, etc.

I currently keep about 8TBs as copies offsite, weekly backuped from my main raids at the studio. It works, simple, and cost effective. Doesn't require much of my time to maintain.

I have backups on my HDDs in my desktop (nightly backup), offline HDDs (weekly), and on offline, offsite HDDs (monthly). I like the additional online, offsite backup option for redundancy.

I recently heard about CrashPlan (http://b4.crashplan.com/consumer/compare.html ) but have not tried it yet. They have an unlimited option, and also apparently have an option to seed the initial backup using a hard drive (I still need to look into the details on that).

Thanks, that looks very promising, and they even offer a FAQ and an incentive to Mozy refugees (http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/faq/mozy#faqs_for_mozy_converts).
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: feppe on February 05, 2011, 12:16:01 pm
After testing the free version of CrashPlan for a few days, I'm so impressed I bought the 4-year Unlimited plan. The feature-set is thorough, including encryption, backing up to multiple locations (including a friend's computer), HDD seeding and recovery (US only, though :( ), and it has prioritization which Mozy inexplicably lacks.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff!
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: neile on February 06, 2011, 01:29:27 am
Crashplan is also my choice for "backup of last resort". My on-site backup is via a Windows Home Server, with Crashplan in case of catastrophic meltdown in the studio.

Neil
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: mikev1 on February 23, 2011, 05:46:43 pm
Wow I'm so glad I ventured into this forum.  I hadn't seen any email from Mozy (maybe ended up in spam folder) and my account is up for renewal in a few weeks.  I guess I need to find a new online backup company.
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: mikev1 on February 23, 2011, 05:48:39 pm
Crashplan is also my choice for "backup of last resort". My on-site backup is via a Windows Home Server, with Crashplan in case of catastrophic meltdown in the studio.

Neil

Neil I have Windows Home Serve as well and had a horrible experience when my computer crashed and the backups with WHS were corrupted.  Thankfully Mozy saved my rear.
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: PierreVandevenne on February 24, 2011, 04:03:23 pm
What we need is a RAIC (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Clouds).
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: digitaldog on February 24, 2011, 06:02:28 pm
FWIW, Macworld just did a piece on this last week, gave Crashplan high marks:
http://www.macworld.com/article/157967/2011/02/onlinephotobackups.html
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: ethanw on May 06, 2011, 02:07:46 am
I use IX for web hosting (http://www.ixwebhosting.com). I don't know if this is exactly what you need but I use them for a long time now and their support is really good..
Title: Re: Mozy gets rid of unlimited plans, any alternatives?
Post by: digitaldog on May 06, 2011, 09:13:16 am
I use IX for web hosting (http://www.ixwebhosting.com). I don't know if this is exactly what you need but I use them for a long time now and their support is really good..

+1 on that, I’ve been using them for years and the service and support is top notch.