Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: FrameMaker on January 29, 2011, 07:14:28 pm

Title: Study in white
Post by: FrameMaker on January 29, 2011, 07:14:28 pm
This is a close-up of a Camillia (Camillia japonica) flower, growing in my backyard.
Title: Re: Study in white
Post by: PeterAit on January 29, 2011, 07:58:18 pm
Very nice, I like the minimalist approach and the way you have zoomed in. My only gripe is that most people expect this kind of closeup to be really sharp, but perhaps you wanted the soft impressionistic look?
Title: Re: Study in white
Post by: FrameMaker on January 30, 2011, 10:33:08 am
thanks for your comments.  The camera was handheld using available light. Could it have been sharper?  Of course, but this is what I got & I thought it worked well enough with the soft edges.  I made a small print (~6"x7") using a luster surface & left a white border and used a ivory mat board to set the whole thing off.  In this setting, the photo works even better.  Cioa!
Title: Re: Study in white
Post by: popnfresh on January 31, 2011, 02:47:49 am
Get yourself a tripod so next time you can stop the lens down and get it all in focus.
Title: Re: Study in white
Post by: EduPerez on February 01, 2011, 08:44:11 am
I would have tried to put the flower under a shadow (or put a shadow over the flower), since the light is a bit too harsh for this kind of shots; just my two cents.
Title: Re: Study in white
Post by: Rob C on February 01, 2011, 02:46:28 pm
Pop's right; you must use a tripod for anything that's close-up because any shake - and there always will be in the hand - is magnified. Also, if you shoot it sharp, you can then do anything you want with it later to soften it down where and how, but never the other way around in a manner that convinces. That's one of the troubles with photography: it never comes easy. I hate that. ;-)

Rob C