Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: keith_cooper on January 25, 2011, 02:41:13 pm
-
I've just been having a look at DxO FilmPack V2 if anyone was curious :-)
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/dxo_filmpack.html (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/dxo_filmpack.html)
I actually used the B/W grain effect when doing some retouching work on some scanned b/w negs - with some adjustment of settings and knowing the original film type I was able to make some clone sources that just can't be seen in some large b/w prints.
In terms of the 'film looks' available, they do look very accurate (at least for films I've example scans of) but I'm just not that attached enough to any film type to want to reproduce it (YMMV ;-) )
Only problem was in using it as a PS plugin, where if you open a colour image in a space like ProPhoto, the plugin window colour management is somewhat broken
-
I've just been having a look at DxO FilmPack V2 if anyone was curious :-)
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/dxo_filmpack.html (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/dxo_filmpack.html)
Reminds me of a post, about four years ago in the Adobe ACR forum:
"How about a film look package like with DxO ?"
I think I was told: to catch up and to learn to make own Presets...
Peter
--
-
Mmm - if there is a preset that produces that sort of grain, I could do with it sometimes for odd bits of film retouching.
But seriously, I've not had a (UK commercial) client in the last few years say they'd rather I shot on film or wanting a precise 'film look', so whilst the plugin produces very nice results, I'm just not sure why I'd want to look as if I used Kodachrome (processed with my secretly hoarded stash of chemicals and machine I found in a scrapyard :-) )
-
In terms of the 'film looks' available, they do look very accurate
if I am not mistaken they do not "calculate" the grain but instead use a database w/ images (=obtained by scanning real films) and mix/randomize (not tiling of course) those to create the necessary final image
-
... so whilst the plugin produces very nice results, I'm just not sure why I'd want to look as if I used Kodachrome ...
Film had decades of evolution, to deliver a preferred rendition of greens grass, blue sky, etc… "how to make pictures and please people".
Digital emulation and related techniques can at times be an interesting discipline, imo.
Peter
--