Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: ulfja on January 18, 2011, 10:17:10 am
-
Hi
I have a calibrated screen and a epson 4800 printer which I have made a printer profile. My problem is that when i print a high key picture and test it with soft proofing my screen shows a little more red than the actual print would be. I have a portrait from a remote village in africa, showing a local fisherman working on a kano. This is a picture with dark colors, the screen gives a natural look while the actual print comes out with more red in the dark colors?
High key, shows more red on screen vs print. Low key gives more red in print vs screen. Is there a easy explanation for this?
-
Might see if tweaking the white point of the display calibration just a tad brings it in a bit closer.
-
Thanks for your reply.
So the white point could be the problem? I use Imac 27 together with a Nec 1990 And it is the same for both screens so I have to adjust them both i guess.
The next question then will be how do I do this on the Imac?
:-)
-
When calibrating displays I recommend customizing the white point color temperature and luminosity for matching paper white. When the whites match everything else falls in line and paper white simulation isn't needed when soft proofing.
There are several variations to this approach (like calibrating to your brightest white paper and using paper white simulation for less white papers) but you get the idea. Despite the theory, calibrating to 6500K/120 just doesn't cut it 99% of the time. Gotta tweak those white point setting to match your lighting. Tweaking the lighting itself is as often a good idea!
-
High key, shows more red on screen vs print. Low key gives more red in print vs screen. Is there a easy explanation for this?
beside checking the white point you should also check if the dark red printer-colours of your low key image fit into the monitor's gamut and vice versa if the bright red monitor-colours of your high key image fit into the printer's gamut.
Monitors can produce bright high saturated colours that are not printable. And printers often exceed the monitor gamut in high saturated midtones. So worth a look.
-
Hi
I will read about this topic that have been mentioned here in the replays and then check this out when I am back home to see if I can get my soft proofing correct compared to my prints.