Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: PeterAit on January 18, 2011, 08:47:43 am

Title: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: PeterAit on January 18, 2011, 08:47:43 am
Can anyone recommend a USB card reader for SD and CF cards that works with 64 bit Win 7? THanks.
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: John.Murray on January 18, 2011, 06:45:41 pm
any usb card reader will work, as windows xp/sp2 onwards has native support for usb 2.0.  i've been very happy with my Lexar RW035-001:

http://lexar.com/products/lexar-professional-dual-slot-card-reader?category=203


Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: PeterAit on January 18, 2011, 07:17:13 pm
That's not the case. My SanDisk USB card reader works fine on Win XP but not on Win 7 64 bit. It "installs" the hardware but I cannot access the cards. That's why I want to hear about one that is actually working on Win 7-64. Thanks,
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: feppe on January 18, 2011, 07:35:32 pm
That's not the case. My SanDisk USB card reader works fine on Win XP but not on Win 7 64 bit. It "installs" the hardware but I cannot access the cards. That's why I want to hear about one that is actually working on Win 7-64. Thanks,

Probably not very helpful, but the SanDisk MicroMates that came with fast SD cards work fine with my Win 7 64-bit Ultimate. Have you tried sticking it to other ports to see if it's the port itself?
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: John.Murray on January 18, 2011, 07:39:52 pm
I've heard that that some sandisk extreme readers have issues:

windows: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Extreme-Readers/Extreme-reader-slow-on-Win-7-SSD/td-p/202773
mac: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Extreme-Readers/Extreme-III-USB-2-0-Reader-on-Intel-Mac-with-Leopard/td-p/202972

Any true usb 2.0 device *will* work with no additional drivers needed.  The lexar I mentioned works with:

OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard, Win XP, Vista 64 and Win 7 32/64 with no drivers needed.

Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: Rhossydd on January 19, 2011, 11:00:55 am
I'm using a cheap nameless USB2 unit that has a floppy drive and 6 way card reader all built into a a standard 3.5" bay unit. It didn't need any drivers and 'just worked', other generic card readers have all 'just worked' too.
Sorry not to be more specific, but so far everything with Windows 7 has just worked without any problems (excepting an obscure bug with the Contour Shuttle Pro which disappears after switching users).

Paul
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: feppe on January 19, 2011, 02:14:49 pm
I'm using a cheap nameless USB2 unit that has a floppy drive and 6 way card reader all built into a a standard 3.5" bay unit. It didn't need any drivers and 'just worked', other generic card readers have all 'just worked' too.
Sorry not to be more specific, but so far everything with Windows 7 has just worked without any problems (excepting an obscure bug with the Contour Shuttle Pro which disappears after switching users).

Not only am I flabbergasted that there are floppies around, but that someone is manufacturing USB2 floppy drives.
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: Rhossydd on January 19, 2011, 02:22:53 pm
Not only am I flabbergasted that there are floppies around, but that someone is manufacturing USB2 floppy drives.
Floppies still have their uses.

Maybe I should have been clearer; the floppy connects via the usual FDD interface and the card reader(s) have a separate USB2 interface.
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: walter.sk on January 19, 2011, 02:47:57 pm
Can anyone recommend a USB card reader for SD and CF cards that works with 64 bit Win 7? THanks.

I'm using a SandDisk ImageMate 12-in-1 USB2 reader with Windows 7, 64-bit, and it reads CF cards (Extreme IV) and Ultra III very fast.
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 19, 2011, 03:27:01 pm
Floppies still have their uses.
As coasters for drinks, mostly, IMHO.

I have a real floppy: and 8-inch one! Ah, the good old days!

Eric
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: Steve Weldon on January 19, 2011, 03:44:09 pm
As coasters for drinks, mostly, IMHO.

I have a real floppy: and 8-inch one! Ah, the good old days!

Eric
I'm pretty sure the average floppy is only 5 1/4 inches.. though over in these parts the 3 1/2 version is popular.
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: jeremypayne on January 19, 2011, 03:45:30 pm
As coasters for drinks, mostly, IMHO.

That's what I used to do with all those AOL discs they used to mail to everyone.
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 19, 2011, 07:37:46 pm
I'm pretty sure the average floppy is only 5 1/4 inches.. though over in these parts the 3 1/2 version is popular.
The eight-inch floppy looks like a 5 1/4 on steroids. I think it was used on some early DEC minicomputer, but I've never seen the computer. A friend who was cleaning out old junk gave me two of them. It's a good conversation piece but a little big to make a good coaster.

Eric
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: feppe on January 19, 2011, 08:00:06 pm
Floppies still have their uses.

I'm curious what it could be - I can't see how they could be useful except for supporting some obscure legacy software. I haven't had a floppy drive on my computers for probably over ten years.
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: nsnowlin on February 02, 2011, 11:55:36 am
My older Sandisk multi-readers would not work with Win 7.  I bought the Sandisk CF reader for firewire and it works and is fast.  However, like most of my firewire experience, it gets weird at times (it crashes with the eject command).  I just ordered the Delkin Pro multi-card reader.  Reportedly it works with all MS OSs.

Stu
Title: Re: Card reader for Win 7 64 bit
Post by: PeterAit on February 03, 2011, 09:26:43 am
FWIW I got the Lexar RW035-001 and it works just fine.