Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Dale Villeponteaux on January 18, 2011, 03:53:40 am

Title: Gull in mist
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on January 18, 2011, 03:53:40 am
Hand-held D3x with 24-70mm f/1.8.
Title: Re: Gull in mist
Post by: shutterpup on January 18, 2011, 09:42:36 am
There are two birds there, with no reflection of either one? That is a huge distraction for me.

On the other hand, take away the conflicting birds and I really like the scene, stepping from in focus in the very front and blurred as the fog takes control.
Title: Re: Gull in mist
Post by: John R Smith on January 18, 2011, 10:07:28 am
One bird, one reflection.

But Pup is right, really, the picture would perhaps have been stronger without the bird.

John
Title: Re: Gull in mist
Post by: RSL on January 18, 2011, 10:31:59 am
This is the kind of post-processing problem Slobodan keeps talking about.
Title: Re: Gull in mist
Post by: John R Smith on January 18, 2011, 10:53:54 am
Well, I was about to suggest some subtle use of the clone tool, but then thought I had better not, really . . .

J
Title: Re: Gull in mist
Post by: RSL on January 18, 2011, 11:02:36 am
Doesn't even need the clone tool, John. The spot healing brush will do the job nicely. One click.
Title: Re: Gull in mist
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 18, 2011, 04:25:26 pm
Here's the version Russ originally intended to show.  ;)
I personally prefer the original, uncropped version, with reflection.

Eric
Title: Re: Gull in mist
Post by: RSL on January 18, 2011, 05:58:26 pm
Eric, I agree. I don't have a problem with two birds.
Title: Re: Gull in mist
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on January 19, 2011, 02:09:15 am
Thanks for taking a look.

Dale V.
Title: Re: Gull in mist
Post by: c_soars on January 19, 2011, 11:25:07 am
I like the original, both the stillness of the scene and the aspect ratio.  I think without the bird it would have been boring, but its inclusion brings a sense of movement that doesn't rock the boat.

Still, if you had captured it with wings up or outstretched, I think it would have been even stronger.