Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: CAF on January 17, 2011, 10:10:53 pm

Title: Epson 3880 single sheet feeder
Post by: CAF on January 17, 2011, 10:10:53 pm
I am considering to purchase an Epson 3880 to use mostly with matte rag papers, 250 - 350 gsm, and as I understand it, one would need to use the top, single-sheet feeder.

What has been the experience of 3800/3880 users with the operation of placing the paper to the end of its travel and holding it there until the printer takes it up?  Harmonious? Finicky? Timeconsuming? Speedy? - or what else?
Title: Re: Epson 3880 single sheet feeder
Post by: JohnHeerema on January 18, 2011, 12:01:06 am
Always worked fine for me.
It takes a certain amount of pressure, so it might not work on really thin paper, but then I'd use the sheet feeder for that.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 single sheet feeder
Post by: David Good on January 18, 2011, 02:34:24 am
The SP3880 handles papers through the rear feeder with ease IMO, especially compared to older models. Apply a bit of pressure and once it pulls the paper down that's it. The occasional mis-feed is easily remedied via the on-board control panel and feeding the paper in again. Harmonious? Yes, Time-consuming, @10 seconds I'd guess.

Dave
Title: Re: Epson 3880 single sheet feeder
Post by: AlanShaw on January 18, 2011, 04:53:36 am
I've had no problems with the single sheet feeder on the 3880. Works fine with rag paper in my experience.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 single sheet feeder
Post by: JohnBrew on January 18, 2011, 07:36:52 am
It works well with a little practice. Like the above said you have to apply a little pressure on top of the paper and as some others say "you've got to hold your mouth right".  ;)
Title: Re: Epson 3880 single sheet feeder
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on January 18, 2011, 08:31:02 am
I agree with what has been said.  I upgraded from a 2880 where the rear feeder was quite finicky.  In the 11 months that I have had the 3880 I think I've had only two misfeeds using matte paper and no misfeeds using gloss paper.  I do brush every sheet of matte paper with a horsehair drafting brush to get rid of any dust prior to printing.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 single sheet feeder
Post by: AFairley on January 18, 2011, 04:26:22 pm
I have had trouble loading 8.5x11 sheets i cut out of a 17x22 sheet where the cuts were off the perpendicular, but never a problem loading uncut papers from the mfgr.