Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: haring on January 14, 2011, 05:56:48 pm

Title: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: haring on January 14, 2011, 05:56:48 pm
Is there anybody who upgraded from the monitor calibrator - Spyder 3 Pro to Spyder pro Elite??? Did you notice any difference? Is it worth upgrading?
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: ChasP505 on January 15, 2011, 07:57:02 pm
If you're satisfied with the profiles created by Spyder3 Pro, my advice is "don't fix what ain't broke".  I just don't understand why for a price difference of only about $40, DataColor would sell a feature crippled software and why anyone would buy it.
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: NikoJorj on January 16, 2011, 12:54:01 pm
I vote for DispCalGUI...
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: digitaldog on January 16, 2011, 01:05:00 pm
I just don't understand why for a price difference of only about $40, DataColor would sell a feature crippled software and why anyone would buy it.

Exactly, any software (from them or others) that don’t provide a way to adjust luminance or WP is basically worthless.
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: fdisilvestro on January 16, 2011, 02:42:37 pm
The current release (4.0.2) of the Pro version allows to adjust luminance and white point.
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: digitaldog on January 16, 2011, 03:07:34 pm
The current release (4.0.2) of the Pro version allows to adjust luminance and white point.

Kind of <g>. According to this (http://spyder.datacolor.com/pdfs/Spyder3Pro_Slim.pdf) you have four WP options. Great if one produces a match, not so much if it doesn’t. And while the PDF discusses TRC Gamma and WP, its not at all clear about luminance (presets or anything?). Elite (http://spyder.datacolor.com/pdfs/Spyder3Elite_Slim.pdf) provides unlimited settings for TRC Gamma and WP. Again, what they provide the user in terms of luminance is unclear to me.
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: fdisilvestro on January 16, 2011, 05:32:28 pm
It is a rather basic adjustment of luminance. It measures the brightness of the screen and you adjust manually the brightness until you get 120 cd/m2. It is the only preset in the pro version. In the Elite version you could select another setting. The previous release did not even have this possibility.

I agree that this is probably not sufficient for professional level calibration & profiling, but is better than nothing for restricted budget amateurs like me.

Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: Czornyj on January 16, 2011, 05:45:10 pm
I vote for DispCalGUI...
+1
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: ChasP505 on January 16, 2011, 06:37:39 pm
I agree that this is probably not sufficient for professional level calibration & profiling, but is better than nothing for restricted budget amateurs like me.

But it's a marketing ploy...  A "restricted budget amateur" naively buys the Pro version thinking he saved $40-50, then later spends the same money twice over to upgrade when he gets frustrated by the Pro version's lack of functionality.  BTW, I'm also an extremely restricted budget amateur.

And what is the difference between "professional level" and dedicated amateur?  Does an amateur chef not need as accurate a meat thermometer or as sharp a knife as a pro? 

http://spyder.datacolor.com/s3compare.php
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: digitaldog on January 16, 2011, 07:09:47 pm
It is a rather basic adjustment of luminance.

That’s an understatement! Why would someone go out of their way to cripple such a necessary process? As I originally said, and stand by my post, any software that don’t provide a way to adjust luminance or WP is basically worthless.
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: fdisilvestro on January 16, 2011, 08:33:12 pm
But it's a marketing ploy...  A "restricted budget amateur" naively buys the Pro version thinking he saved $40-50, then later spends the same money twice over to upgrade when he gets frustrated by the Pro version's lack of functionality.  BTW, I'm also an extremely restricted budget amateur.

And what is the difference between "professional level" and dedicated amateur?  Does an amateur chef not need as accurate a meat thermometer or as sharp a knife as a pro? 

http://spyder.datacolor.com/s3compare.php

I agree with your points. Right now it would not be worthed to buy the pro version and then upgrade to Elite because it will be more expensive than getting the Elite.

In the past, the difference in the software wasn't that great (release 3). When datacolor released the Elite 4.0 it was not a free upgrade from Elite 3 to Elite 4. Instead Pro 3 to Pro 4 was a free upgrade.

My comment about being amateur was that you could calibrate to 120 CD/m2 and a WP of 6500K or 5800K, which I though was a useful setting. Maybe I'm wrong and need to study more.

Anyway, before spending $99 for the upgrade to Elite 4 I would take a look at DispCalGUI
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: digitaldog on January 16, 2011, 09:13:28 pm
My comment about being amateur was that you could calibrate to 120 CD/m2 and a WP of 6500K or 5800K, which I though was a useful setting. Maybe I'm wrong and need to study more.

Its only a useful setting if its the correct setting. Flip a coin. The right setting is the one that produces a match to the print. Might be 120 CD/m2 and a WP of 6500K but more than likely its not. See:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: fdisilvestro on January 16, 2011, 10:05:16 pm
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm going to explore the DispCalGUI
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: Scott Martin on January 18, 2011, 10:42:52 am
I have to admit, the Spyder3Elite software has gotten really good. It's got L* TRC calibration and an iterative calibration process now (the later of which is quite significant, IMO). They've just about matched the feature set that ColorEyeDisplayPro has had for years. CEDP's rarely used white point tuning feature still set's it apart. If you're buying a Spyder3 the "Elite" version is the one to get.

In my mind, DispCalGUI is an exciting option for advanced users with existing qualified devices. It's not totally easy for new users and I've seeing problems with it that require troubleshooting. I hope to see it mature and become more reliable and easy to use.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Spyder3Elite to the masses, and CEDP and/or DispCalGUI to advanced users who are willing to tackle a little learning curve to potentially get slightly better results.
Title: Re: Spyder 3 Pro or Spyder pro Elite??? Which one?
Post by: fdisilvestro on January 18, 2011, 11:18:06 am
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Spyder3Elite to the masses, and CEDP and/or DispCalGUI to advanced users who are willing to tackle a little learning curve to potentially get slightly better results.

I agree with you. Anyway, I think Datacolor should revise their pricing strategy since the cost of upgrading from PRO to Elite is almost twice the difference in price between the two options. Maybe if Spyder3PRO users go the DispCalGUI way, they'll do.

Title: Selling my Pantone ColorVision SpyderPRO Suite
Post by: bentley00 on March 21, 2011, 07:26:36 pm
I'm selling my Pantone ColorVision SpyderPRO Suite for $60.00 in original box with CD's and original items.

The color needs of our customers are no longer limited to print or to traditional printing methods. Extending well beyond color palettes in desktop publishing applications, PANTONE software solutions provide monitor calibration, PANTONE colors for business documents, colors optimized for use on the Web, and file preparation for six-color process printing.

Tired of time-consuming, trial and error, monitor-to-printer color proofs? The Spyder Photo Suite PRO bundle calibrates your monitor with the highly acclaimed Spyder with OptiCAL. It also includes ProfilerPLUS software for creating printer profiles using your flatbed scanner. For a fraction of the price of other photo professional calibration systems, you can now calibrate your monitors and printers and match the color you see on your CRT or LCD display with what you see in print every time! A must-have package for designers, photographers, printers, and pre-press people. New! OptiCAL site license now included.
Product Description

Product Features

* Calibrates monitor with highly acclaimed Spyder with OptiCAL
* ProfilerPLUS software--create printer profiles using flatbed scanner
* Match CRT or LCD display color with print color every time
* Essential for designers, photographers, printers, and pre-press people
* OptiCAL site license now included

If you are interested please contact, [email protected].