Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: BruceInfantino on January 13, 2011, 05:44:14 pm

Title: New NEC pa271w settings advice for calibration...
Post by: BruceInfantino on January 13, 2011, 05:44:14 pm
Just got a pa271 and see many settings , full bright, various color spaces etc.. I have an i1 2 display and I'm assuming that it doesn't matter where I start since I'll be calibrating with the i1 2.....right thinking or wrong...basically want to set up for srgb for outside printing...and I'll play with adobe rgb later

Thanks
Title: Re: New NEC pa271w settings advice for calibration...
Post by: digitaldog on January 13, 2011, 07:11:35 pm
Well the target calibration aim points you ask for will most certainly matter.
Title: Re: New NEC pa271w settings advice for calibration...
Post by: BruceInfantino on January 13, 2011, 08:03:50 pm
Yes 6500k and 2.2 gamma
Title: Re: New NEC pa271w settings advice for calibration...
Post by: digitaldog on January 13, 2011, 08:04:50 pm
Yes 6500k and 2.2 gamma

That’s not necessarily right or ideal. Read:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml
Title: Re: New NEC pa271w settings advice for calibration...
Post by: BruceInfantino on January 13, 2011, 08:25:29 pm
I'll check it out, thanks
Title: Re: New NEC pa271w settings advice for calibration...
Post by: AndrewKulin on January 15, 2011, 11:02:36 am
Andrew:

I also recently took delivery of a PA271 and am in process of following the steps outlined in your above referenced article.  I have a couple of questions:

I am using your printer test file and have noticed that it is set for ColorMatch RGB.  I pretty much always use ProPhoto RGB.  So by adjusting the monitor luminance/white point to match print under viewing light (an OttLite in my case), with the monitor image using a color profile I do not use, am I in for problems down the road in getting my prints to match up with ProPhoto picture files?  I tried assigning Prophoto to the test file and the on-screen result was awful.

Second question, I noticed when viewing the test file under CS5 with menus, etc. open (default look) the image is close to the print.  But when I go to full screen mode (image only), the image becomes more saturated, as if color management is disabled or Adobe assigns a different ICC profile.  Any idea what that could be caused by, hoping it is simply checking off a radio button on some obscure Photoshop menu.

[Edit] - I figured out the answer to the second question;  Under Preferences/Performance and opening up the Advanced Open GL Settings, CS5 had defaulted to "Basic" - changing this setting to either "Normal" or "Advanced" made the color shift go away.

Thanks,
Title: Re: New NEC pa271w settings advice for calibration...
Post by: digitaldog on January 16, 2011, 01:15:46 pm

I am using your printer test file and have noticed that it is set for ColorMatch RGB.  I pretty much always use ProPhoto RGB.  So by adjusting the monitor luminance/white point to match print under viewing light (an OttLite in my case), with the monitor image using a color profile I do not use, am I in for problems down the road in getting my prints to match up with ProPhoto picture files?  I tried assigning Prophoto to the test file and the on-screen result was awful.

ColorMatch should be fine for this task. And you do NOT want to Assign, you’d convert to ProPhoto (which would buy you nothing). Assign doesn’t change the numbers, it changes the definition of the numbers which is incorrect in this example.

Quote
Second question, I noticed when viewing the test file under CS5 with menus, etc. open (default look) the image is close to the print.  But when I go to full screen mode (image only), the image becomes more saturated, as if color management is disabled or Adobe assigns a different ICC profile.  Any idea what that could be caused by, hoping it is simply checking off a radio button on some obscure Photoshop menu.

The other thing is having the size on screen as close to the size of the print you are viewing.
Title: Re: New NEC pa271w settings advice for calibration...
Post by: AndrewKulin on January 16, 2011, 03:20:01 pm
Thanks