Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: HermanRodriguez on January 10, 2011, 07:01:51 am
-
Hi:
Up to this point I have stayed away from pigment-based printers but I have decided to try switching. I am interested in the new Epson 4900 for this purpose. I was able to chat up a sales rep at the photo show in October 20120 in New York and he mentioned that if you do not use the printer regularly, it is a good idea to shake the cartridges periodically to redistribute the pigment. Does anyone know what the outcome of lack of use on the ink in the feed lines? Do you have to flush them periodically also and how much ink does this take? The reason I ask is that I travel extensively and come back to work on my photos.
Herman R
-
no issues as the ink in the lines is stirred by the head moving back and forth.
-
no issues as the ink in the lines is stirred by the head moving back and forth.
That's not enough, because the ink is settled after a couple of weeks and starts to sink to the bottom of the
cartridge. The result is a pale image :D. Believe me, I've seen it.
The simple solution is to shake the carts 10-15 s, put them back, make a nozzle check, clean if necessary and then you go.
/Sven
-
I have recently replaced my 4800 with a 4900
I replaced a 7600 with a 7900 about a year ago.
Although I always leave my printers on (the 4900 turns it's self off after a few hours of being idle)
I have never agitated the ink after the initial install.
The 4800 would require a cleaning or two after being idle for a week or so (shorter in the summer, longer in the winter)
The 7600, and both the 7900 and the 4900 have never clogged or required more than a routine cleaning. The 7900 and 4900 auto clean during start up. These printers just work. Beautiful prints as long as the user selected the correct profile.
-
do you see any improvement print quality wise from the 4800? I'm thinking of upgrading my 2880 to a 4900. Do you think I'll see any difference?
-
I suggest that you read Mark Segal's fine review contained herein
As usual, he about nails it. I see subtle differences except in the reds/magenta where the 4900 is much improved.
The big deal for me was the ability to change from gloss to matte without costing a fortune. Overall I am glad I did the upgrade.
-
Although I always leave my printers on (the 4900 turns it's self off after a few hours of being idle)
I have never agitated the ink after the initial install.
The 4800 would require a cleaning or two after being idle for a week or so (shorter in the summer, longer in the winter)
The 7600, and both the 7900 and the 4900 have never clogged or required more than a routine cleaning. The 7900 and 4900 auto clean during start up. These printers just work. Beautiful prints as long as the user selected the correct profile.
I did some deltaE measurements on a 4880, which was "resting" for a month, and some colors was definitely far off.
Did the shaking and everything was as before. And this is not humbug, it's a recommendation from Epson.
/Sven