Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Niki Dinov on January 08, 2011, 03:44:33 pm

Title: Custom ICC or ready one?
Post by: Niki Dinov on January 08, 2011, 03:44:33 pm
Hello!

Probably this is already discussed question but I am new here  :)
So I am printing with EFI RIP and Epson 9900. Sometimes I print directly from Photoshop.
I primary use Epson and Hahnemule papers.
Until now I use ICC profiles given by EFI, Epson and Hahnemule.
Is it worth to make my own custom ICC?
Title: Re: Custom ICC or ready one?
Post by: digitaldog on January 08, 2011, 06:37:34 pm
I can only speak about the Epson profiles and of course, not all papers. But they are quite good. A custom profile is often a bit better but to many, its a point of diminishing return. Can’t speak about profiles from other companies. Take some difficult images, try the canned profiles. If you are happy and on a budget, be done. If not, give one custom profile a try, and compare it to the canned profile.
Title: Re: Custom ICC or ready one?
Post by: Niki Dinov on January 09, 2011, 03:46:43 am
Thank you Digitaldog!  :)
Title: Re: Custom ICC or ready one?
Post by: [email protected] on January 09, 2011, 06:09:25 am
Hi Niki
I have almost the same questions and i want please your experience regarding the differences , in image quality only,between
Photoshop or EFI printing with 9900.
George
Title: Re: Custom ICC or ready one?
Post by: Niki Dinov on January 09, 2011, 06:31:10 am
Printing with EFI is faster and easier especially if you print more than one picture.
Considering ICC once I've asked a man from EFI and he said that standard ICC are OK for printing photos, but for color proof, which I do from time to time, custom ICC is required. Also I have to optimize it from time to time  otherwise the proof can not be certificated.
Probably I will try as digitaldog advices me.
Title: Re: Custom ICC or ready one?
Post by: [email protected] on January 09, 2011, 08:23:38 am
Thanks Niki
Have you noticed any color improvement (wider gamut) when you use Photoshop vs EFI RIP
George