Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: dclawyer on January 01, 2011, 04:10:02 pm
-
No matter what settings I try including those recommended here (http://lightroomkillertips.com/2010/presets-lightroom-ipad-export-settings/) Lightroom preserves the original aspect ratio. Can anyone help?
-
Not exactly sure of the question, but if you're in the Crop window in Lightroom's Develop module, there's a little 'lock' icon in the right panel beside 'Aspect'. If it's locked, LR will scale but won't change the aspect ratio. If you click it to unlock it, then you can set any aspect ratio you want. You can also play around with what happens when you hold down the Shift or Alt/Opt key and move one of the control points.
Mike.
-
Thanks Mike for that reply. I unlocked the aspect ratio and republished but it still did not resize for the iPad.
-
It would help if you would tell us what settings you are actually using.
-
Sure.
In LR Publishing Manager these are the settings I am using:
Resize to Fit is checked and the option for Dimensions is selected
2048 x 1636 pixels (double iPad's max to allow for pinch zooming)
Resolution is 132 (iPad Max)
Sharpen for Screen
The images don't resize.
-
No matter what settings I try… Lightroom preserves the original aspect ratio...
As it should. Changing the aspect ratio would involve cropping, and the poor software can not possibly know what part of the image you would want cropped. Hence the proper procedure is to crop first, then export/publish. In the develop module, you would need to create a custom ratio, label it, say, "1024 x 768", and use it to select the crop you would like.
-
Thank you for your helpful reply. That is more work than I want to undertake. The link in my original post stated that these settings would resize. I see now that was mistaken. I will live with the black borders on the iPad. On the iPhone the images fill the screen.
-
Just set the resolution for the long side. That way the aspect ratio will be maintained and if your ipad doesn't have a 3:2 aspect ratio then that means that part of the immage screen will be black. If that is something you can't live with then you need to crop to the ratio and then export the crop.
-
Thank you for your helpful reply… On the iPhone the images fill the screen.
You are welcome.
I hate to argue with a lawyer ;), but iPhone does not "fill" the screen, it also "fits" the screen as iPad does, i.e., iPhone would also use black borders on images that do not have a 1.5 aspect ratio (native to iPhones). The reason it looks like iPhone fills the screen is a coincidence, i.e., your original images are most likely taken with a DSLR, which also has a native 1.5 aspect ratio.
-
You are absolutely right. The iPhone has the same aspect ratio as my Canon DSLR. When I post images from my S90 they are fully frame and full screen on the iPad and cropped on the iPhone. The crop on the iPhone isn't what I always want but they still are a nice way of sharing photos quickly. I love LR's publish service.
-
Doesn't iTunes resize the photos to 1024 anyway?
-
Doesn't iTunes resize the photos to 1024 anyway?
Huh!?
-
if you don't care about which part is being cropped just crop one image and copy paste the setting to all.
-
Hi I have just come across these presets on the excellent
Lightroom Killer Tips Website (http://lightroomkillertips.com/2010/presets-lightroom-ipad-export-settings/)
Not used them myself but they maybe something to look at. they are free after all!