Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: dgberg on December 26, 2010, 09:32:01 am
-
Well its a snowy day here in se pennsylvania and nothing better to do then to discuss why or how a software company comes up with these software name changes.
First of all I use Genuine Fractals on a daily basis and love it. I loaded the GF7 update (Still cannot call it "Perfect Resize") yesterday and it is excellent to say the least. Especially the new wrapping funtions with colored edge options. My question today is how and why do some of these companies come up with the idea that their name brand software needs a new name.
I can see a half dozen managers sitting around a conference table stressing unnecessarily over a new software title. For me the Genuine Fractals name reflects a strong product for the enthusiest and professional printmaker market. Great name recoginition with Genuine Fractals and then they go funky with Perfect Resize? Heck sounds more like a male enhancement drug! Just think they missed the mark. Its like renaming Photoshop CS5 to "Pretty Pictures"
It really does not matter a hoot so no flaming please. I guess sometimes management thinks a new name is needed to shake a little more market share in their direction? YOMV
-
Maybe it was too much of a niche product to their taste. if you search for a software that would resize pictures, "genuine fractals" would not be the 1st (or 2nd or..last) wording option you'd use. something with"resize" would hit the mark (and market) more precisely.
in summation;
It's google's fault :P
-
You know I think you hit the nail on the head,it may be as simple as that.
-
I'm gonna go trademark "Pretty Pictures" right now! "Adobe Pretty Pictures 1" will cost 'em a few bucks, oh yeah!
Always felt I could reproduce the exact effect of GF with resizing + Smart Sharpen, but I guess the advantage of GF or whatever is that it knows how much to apply for a particular size, whereas I have to guess.
-
OnOne still has a ways to go to catch up with Epson in the product-renaming sweepstakes (Archival Matte? Enhanced matte? Ultra Premium blah blah blah...?)
Eric
-
Is this actually any better than photoshop since the upgrades in CS5? It was at one time but now I wonder if theres any real world advantage?
-
I have cs5 but use it sparingly. Specificly what upgrade.
I am a canvas guy and the new "PR"wrap functions make it worth every penny. ($79 upgrade with NAPP discount)