Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Dave Gurtcheff on December 20, 2010, 05:09:32 pm

Title: Pentax 645D sharpening of files
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on December 20, 2010, 05:09:32 pm
Don't know if this should be posted here, or on the MF Section:
I now use PK sharpener for my full frame 35mm files. I use High Res Digital Camera Capture sharpening. After I resize to final dimensions, I use output sharpening for inkjet at 240dpi, 300 dpi, or 360dpi, to suit final size of print.
I was hoping PK may also work for MF 645D files....has anyone tried it? I know sharpening is a very personal thing, but PK has never let me down, and I don't have the expertise to play with radius, percent etc etc in Photoshop.
Thanks in advance
Dave
Title: Re: Pentax 645D sharpening of files
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 20, 2010, 05:16:06 pm
Don't know if this should be posted here, or on the MF Section:
I now use PK sharpener for my full frame 35mm files. I use High Res Digital Camera Capture sharpening. After I resize to final dimensions, I use output sharpening for inkjet at 240dpi, 300 dpi, or 360dpi, to suit final size of print.
I was hoping PK may also work for MF 645D files....has anyone tried it? I know sharpening is a very personal thing, but PK has never let me down, and I don't have the expertise to play with radius, percent etc etc in Photoshop.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Yes it's fine with MF files. Use Digital High Res for Capture Sharpen, and the usual instructions for output sharpen and you'll be fine. I do this routinely with my Phase One P40+ files and I'm fully satisfied with the results, though sometimes I do find myself reducing the opacity of the pass-through layer in Output Sharpening if I perceive the default result to be a bit aggressive, but that is a matter of taste - depends on how crisp you like your images, and this plays the same for DSLR files too.
Title: Re: Pentax 645D sharpening of files
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on December 20, 2010, 07:58:52 pm
Thank you Mark...much appreciated.
Dave