Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Sellers on December 19, 2010, 01:03:18 pm
-
I am thinking about buying a 44 inch printer on ebay but need to have it crated. Is Craters&Freighters a good choice or are there better choices? Of the following three printers which one would be the better buy-Epson 9800,Canon ipf 8000 or HP Z3100? I would be printing color on a variety of media.
-
How much are you getting the printer for? Honestly, by the time you add in shipping and crating costs, you might be better off buying a brand new printer with the latest inks. You can get a Canon iPF8300 delivered (after rebate) for $2350. Rebate expires at the end of this year.
Neil
-
If I can't drive there and back in a day, I'm not buying my next LF printer on eBay, especially since (at least with Epson), most of the vendors seem to deliver from the same set of warehouses scattered over the U.S. and it can be delivered in a day or two already on a pallet.
Though it can be packaged and shipped, I'd rather not chance that something would be missed or that I haven't had a chance to see the printer in action.
Both my 7600 and 9800 were purchased this way. One was six hours round trip, the other was 16 hours on the road and 800 miles. Both were in great shape and still serve me well!
-
Neil, where are you seeing this for 2350. But I would buy a new printer. I just got a Canon 8300, as Billy Crystal would say. Beautiful, I'm currently testing media and other things for them. Magnificent machine and will be getting another very soon. I was a former Epson consultant and made the very first inkjet pigment print in the world. So I have been around them for nearly 16 years. All I got to say is Buy it. Tim
By the way love the Folio's. Tim
-
Both www.lexjet.com and www.dtgweb.com have it. You also get a $300 AmEx gift card back from LexJet if you buy from them by the end of the year.
Yvette Rios is my sales rep at LexJet. If you contact her you'll get it for $3299 before rebate. Shipping is $9.95, unless you need liftgate, then it's an extra $50, but I bet you can convince her to waive the $9.95 :)
Neil
-
I agree that buying new or used with local pickup is the way to go. Don't forget to factor in how much ink you get with the new printer versus the used one, and don't forget that in the case of the used printer the heads should probably be 'parked' before shipping, which will dump a whole bunch of ink (that's how the Canons work, anyway - I would assume the other models have a similar 'move' procedure).
The Canon large format printers are a great deal with the rebates (and great printers regardless); plus, buying new you get the factory warranty and the most you're likely to have to pay for shipping is maybe $50 or so for lift-gate service.
-
Thanks for the advice. I won`t go the shipping route but will wait for something I can pick up myself unless it is a new Canon-what a deal!
-
I have used Craters and freightrers on 3 separate occassions and they have always been exceptionally professional. I shipped 2 drum scanners and both arrived in perfect condition, but shipping cost today are very expensive.
-
What is the difference between the iPF 8000,8100 and 8300?
Mike
-
Roughly the following:
x000 to x100 series: new printhead, improved grey inks, improved firmware.
x100 to x300 series: new printhead, all inks improved, improved hardware (carriage hardware and operator panel design), improved firmware (user operation and printingi.
Within the range also some model specific improvements where made as like with the roll feeder of the 17" version.
-
Yup, what Hsmeets said. I'm told that while cosmetically the 8300 looks similar to the earlier models, the insides are completely different (in addition to new printhead and new inks).
Neil