Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: keith_cooper on December 15, 2010, 08:02:08 am

Title: 8300 monochrome mode
Post by: keith_cooper on December 15, 2010, 08:02:08 am
I'm just testing a few new papers with our 8300 and decided to have a closer look at the output of the monochrome print mode, in terms of its perceived neutrality under different lighting. Note that this is initially a 'how it looks' comparison rather than getting the spectro out ;-)

I also created a set of colour profiles for different lighting conditions and optimised them for B/W (by means I'd hope to be able to discuss before too much longer ;-) )

In relatively dim tungsten lighting, the mono mode prints have a slight tinge of magenta about them, which moves to greenish in a north facing window.

To be fair I needed to place test prints next to each other and even then several people couldn't see the differences. However, by comparing profiles created for different lighting, it looks as if the 8300 mode mono output is optimised for lighting 'around' 5000K

The 'Color Settings' tab in the print plugin does have a green/magenta adjustment available, which would seem to be the place to allow for viewing lighting.

I was wondering if anyone had experimented further with these adjustments and/or the curves option below it, which looks to be a good place to apply a linearising curve, rather than perhaps making a correcting profile with QTR
Title: Re: 8300 monochrome mode
Post by: deanwork on December 16, 2010, 12:16:09 pm
What about  the True Black and White rip?
Title: Re: 8300 monochrome mode
Post by: keith_cooper on December 16, 2010, 12:29:28 pm
I am indeed looking at TrueBW (I tested it on the 6300 - TrueBW (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/software/true_black_and_white.html)) however it has some usability related issues (paper sizes for example) that make it less convenient for some print size/media choices.

Title: Re: 8300 monochrome mode
Post by: deanwork on December 16, 2010, 06:15:34 pm
You have any idea how much color inks are being used for a 'neutral' black and white image, in a general sense.

What is the hue of the straight black and gray inks without composite colors? What I like about the Z series is the ability to turn off all color content and achieve really clean monochrome on gloss and matte media without metamerism.

j
Title: Re: 8300 monochrome mode
Post by: keith_cooper on December 16, 2010, 07:01:27 pm
Quote
You have any idea how much color inks are being used for a 'neutral' black and white image, in a general sense.
What is the hue of the straight black and gray inks without composite colors? What I like about the Z series is the ability to turn off all color content and achieve really clean monochrome on gloss and matte media without metamerism.

I don't have any figures for this, but I'm going to be doing a few more experiments over the holidays :-)