Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: DeanSonneborn on December 08, 2010, 10:28:55 pm

Title: lens correction
Post by: DeanSonneborn on December 08, 2010, 10:28:55 pm
I have a AF-DX Nikkor ED 18-55 3.5-5.6G lens. In LR 3.3 they have a AF-DX Nikkor ED 18-55 3.5-5.6G VR lens listed in the choices for lens correction. Are these two the same lens and/or is this the lens selection I should use?
Title: Re: lens correction
Post by: jeremypayne on December 09, 2010, 07:40:52 am
Not the same lens ...

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/zoom/normalzoom/af-s_dx_zoom18-55mmf_35-56g_ed_2/index.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/zoom/normalzoom/af-s_dx_18-55mmf_35-56g_vr/index.htm

You should check out the "Lens Profile Downloader" which lets you access profiles created by the community at large for lenses not yet in the official Adobe database.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lensprofile_creator.html
Title: Re: lens correction
Post by: DeanSonneborn on December 09, 2010, 10:08:07 am
I found a lens but not my camera body. Does that mean I should not download? BTW the lens description was "nikon 18-55 3.5-5.6" which seems even more general than the descriptors found in LR3.3.
Title: Re: lens correction
Post by: jeremypayne on December 09, 2010, 01:04:37 pm
As long as the lens profile was created with the same size sensor - ie FX or DX - you should be fine to use it.

Assuming you have a DX camera, as long as the profile was made with a DX camera - be it D300 or D90 or D7000 - it shouldn't matter at all.
Title: Re: lens correction
Post by: DeanSonneborn on December 09, 2010, 07:59:25 pm
Next, how do I make this lens correction a preset for import for my camera but not my wife's?
Title: Re: lens correction
Post by: rmyers on December 11, 2010, 06:40:23 pm
You make a preset called "yours" and one called "your wife's"? :)