Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: DwayneOakes on December 08, 2010, 09:56:28 am

Title: Icicle Creek
Post by: DwayneOakes on December 08, 2010, 09:56:28 am
Thanks for taking a look !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

(http://dwayneoakes.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v12/p882541392-4.jpg)
Title: Re: Icicle Creek
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 08, 2010, 11:23:17 am
It's an attractive image and somehow disconcerting; maybe it's because I really can't get any sense of scale. I suppose the water must have been moving quite fast for you to get such a blur with a relatively short exposure.

How big is the scene?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Icicle Creek
Post by: wolfnowl on December 09, 2010, 01:33:41 am
Well done, Dwayne!

Mike.
Title: Re: Icicle Creek
Post by: tom b on December 09, 2010, 08:58:30 pm
Excellent shot!

Cheers,
Title: Re: Icicle Creek
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on December 10, 2010, 08:32:17 am
Well done Dwayne. Lovely composition. The cold blue tones suit the subject well. My only criticisms would be, it's maybe a wee bit flat. A bit more contrast it it would liven up the pattern of the flowing water and  the icicles. Personally I would have gone with a longer exposure. Although maybe you had and you feel this is the better of the 2. All in all a great shot :)
Title: Re: Icicle Creek
Post by: John R on December 12, 2010, 12:05:56 pm
Great shot Dwayne! Not sure if it is natural or a split tone rendition, but the blues and whites are wonderful. As to greater contrast, well, that's a matter of taste and I know from experience when you try to increase contrast where whites are present, it tends to blow out the white. And you are almost at that point in this image. I tend to favour natural renditons over highly processed images anyway. IMO, the less the better.

JMR
Title: Re: Icicle Creek
Post by: DwayneOakes on December 13, 2010, 08:15:53 pm
It's an attractive image and somehow disconcerting; maybe it's because I really can't get any sense of scale. I suppose the water must have been moving quite fast for you to get such a blur with a relatively short exposure.

How big is the scene?

Jeremy

Thank you very much for your honest views and comments everyone ! I really appreciate it !
Small scene 3'X4', the 72mm DX crop might make it look a bit larger in scale.

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes