Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Ari N on December 04, 2010, 02:31:18 pm

Title: Almost Frozen
Post by: Ari N on December 04, 2010, 02:31:18 pm
Last wendsday after sunset








http://arskaphotos.dy.fi (http://personal.inet.fi/koti/ajnousiainen/photography/english/photography.html)

Title: Re: Almost Frozen
Post by: AndrewKulin on December 04, 2010, 04:16:42 pm
The first photograph is fantastic.  Lots of interest in the foreground and mid-ground (frozen rocks, ice patterns forming in the water) to go along with the clouds and the sky.  Plus the contrast in the warm - cool tones across the top - bottom portions of the photograph is also striking. 

The second photograph has only the (same) sky going for it, but the foreground is somewhat bland.
Title: Re: Almost Frozen
Post by: wolfnowl on December 04, 2010, 05:30:00 pm
What Andrew said... me too!

Mike.
Title: Re: Almost Frozen
Post by: francois on December 05, 2010, 01:49:39 am
Photo #1 is really beautiful. Everything is just right and no region of the frame is left empty.
I agree with Andy and Mike and for the second photo I'm with Andy, it is not as outstanding as #1.
Congrats!
Title: Re: Almost Frozen
Post by: stamper on December 05, 2010, 04:08:24 am
I don't comment much on images these days but the first one changed my mind. I can't add to what has been said except it is the best image I have seen for a long time. :)
Title: Re: Almost Frozen
Post by: Bruce Cox on December 05, 2010, 09:07:02 am
Amazement and delight were my reactions to #1.  When I look again I see a separate light source for the foreground which distracts me; or is it just brighter in relation to the angle of the sun?  Bruce
Title: Re: Almost Frozen
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on December 05, 2010, 01:19:17 pm
I favour number 1 too Ari. Lovely..
Title: Re: Almost Frozen
Post by: shutterpup on December 05, 2010, 03:37:17 pm
I like #1; #2 has the distraction of the twig in the foreground ice.
Title: Re: Almost Frozen
Post by: David Saffir on December 06, 2010, 12:01:06 am
It's the feeling of the first image that captures my attention. The contrasting colors and textures, water and ice, brightness and darkness all serve to amplify the mood. There isn't much to critique - it's a darned near perfect shot.

David Saffir

GuruShots Photo Critique (http://www.gurushots.com) - I am a contributor on Gurushots, a new resource for creative photographers