Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Pete JF on November 30, 2010, 10:23:07 am

Title: Is Lightroom 2 still available? Also, running it on a G5 2.0 dual with 8 gig ram
Post by: Pete JF on November 30, 2010, 10:23:07 am
Im thinking about Lightroom and wondering if LR2 is going to run on my old G5 without causing me to grind my teeth away waiting for things to happen.

Seems I can still find it for sale around the web.

Thanks...
Title: Re: Is Lightroom 2 still available? Also, running it on a G5 2.0 dual with 8 gig ram
Post by: francois on November 30, 2010, 11:02:36 am
Im thinking about Lightroom and wondering if LR2 is going to run on my old G5 without causing me to grind my teeth away waiting for things to happen.

Seems I can still find it for sale around the web.

Thanks...
I have been using Lightroom 2.x on a dual G5 (2x2GHz) until last week. I kept it with a library of my old images. If you have enough RAM (something like 4GB should be OK) and a fast HD, Lightroom should be usable. It won't be as quick as a Mac Pro or even a MacBook Pro. Initially, on that computer, I had a Green WD hard drive and it was dog slow. Once equipped with a fater drive, Lightroom became more responsive, almost pleasant.
Title: Re: Is Lightroom 2 still available? Also, running it on a G5 2.0 dual with 8 gig ram
Post by: sm906 on December 02, 2010, 06:29:15 am
LR3 has (also) improved in terms of speed, compared to LR2. That's why I would suspect that when LR2 has an acceptable performance on your machine, LR3 will run a bit better. Especially the 64 bit version makes a remarkable difference (on Wintel computers at least).

Probably that's why your are asking, but I pose the question anyway: Did you already test LR3 on your computer?

Thomas

Title: Re: Is Lightroom 2 still available? Also, running it on a G5 2.0 dual with 8 gig ram
Post by: dudu307 on December 02, 2010, 06:49:46 am
Thomas,

Lightroom 3 is intel only, the OP has a G5 (PowerPC).

Regards
Title: Re: Is Lightroom 2 still available? Also, running it on a G5 2.0 dual with 8 gig ram
Post by: sm906 on December 02, 2010, 07:28:16 am
Lightroom 3 is intel only, the OP has a G5 (PowerPC).
dudu307,

ah, thanks for the hint. Please excuse my Intel ignorance  ;). I did not realize that G5 is not the same as Mac OS. Lesson learned.

Thomas

Title: Re: Is Lightroom 2 still available? Also, running it on a G5 2.0 dual with 8 gig
Post by: Pete JF on December 10, 2010, 09:18:35 pm
Thanks for the input folks, appreciated. Think I'll hold off on Lightroom until I upgrade my system in 2015.