Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: bobrapp on November 29, 2010, 11:30:00 pm

Title: Font Colors
Post by: bobrapp on November 29, 2010, 11:30:00 pm
Michael,

I am colorblind (don't ask how I get by in photography) and with today's Whats New, I found the dark blue on black background unreadable. I have the same issue with dark red as well. Could you use lighter colors?

Bob Rapp
Title: Re: Font Colors
Post by: tom b on November 29, 2010, 11:57:41 pm
I don't blame you, the blue on black has a colour contrast of 1:1.5, we use 1:5 as a minimum for our pages.

You can get a free colour contrast analyser from Vision Australia here:

http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/info.aspx?page=1571 (PC)

and a Mac version here:

http://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/contrast-analyser.html#macdownload

We were talking about Andrew who works with us and describing his skills. I said that Andrew had picked up a spelling mistake in one of my illustrations – everyone laughed. Someone else said that Andrew had phoned them to say that the colour contrast on one of their web pages didn't pass W3C standards and eveyone laughed. They laughed because Andrew isn't colour blind he's just blind. He does a brilliant job helping us with accessibility.

Oh and I worked with a colour blind illustrator who did fantastic children's book illustrations. But on the other hand my father could not join the NSW police force because he was colour blind.

Cheers,

Title: Re: Font Colors
Post by: John Camp on November 29, 2010, 11:58:39 pm
I'm not color blind, and I have a hard time reading it.

JC
Title: Re: Font Colors
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 30, 2010, 12:09:00 am
I am colorblind, too,  and I had a very hard time reading it.

Eric
Title: Re: Font Colors
Post by: BradSmith on December 01, 2010, 02:15:13 pm
You don't have to be colorblind to find it almost impossible to read dark blue text on a black page.   Someone needed to look at this before posting.
Title: Re: Font Colors
Post by: michael on December 01, 2010, 03:18:42 pm
There's a bug in the What's New page posting software that caused this. I couldn't find an easy way to fix it, so I said screw it. In any event, no one actually needs to read it because it's simply a URL that one can click on.  :)