Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: billh on November 28, 2010, 07:25:35 pm

Title: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: billh on November 28, 2010, 07:25:35 pm
Thanks for the review Michael. I bought one of these the day I saw Philip Bloom mention it. I was also impressed with the things you mentioned, and I was surprised at the image quality (on a GH1) wide open (although I have been using it mostly for video). I have an f1.0 Noctilux, which another photographer is using at the moment, but my sense is this Voigtlander is sharper wide open than the Noctilux. I could be misremembering, or seeing what I think is higher contrast at these apertures from the Voigtlander.

Have you tried it on the GH2?
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: michael on November 28, 2010, 09:32:23 pm
Not yet, but I expect to receive my production GH2 this week, and plan to use the two together for both video and stills.

Chris has this combo on order as well.

Michael
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: jimby on November 28, 2010, 11:37:17 pm
"MFT is half the size of full-frame 35mm in the stills world."

Not to be too pointed-headed here, but the MFT sensor is about a quarter the size of the full frame 35mm.

MFT =~ 17mm x 13mm  (area ~ 221mm)

35mm FF = 36mm x 24mm (area ~ 864mm)

Wouldn't want any newbies to go around thinking their MFT is half the size of a 35mm FF.  It's easy to make that assumption because the focal length of the MFT lenses tend to be half of their equivalents in 35mm.

APS-C sensors are actually about half the size of 35mm FF.
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: michael on November 29, 2010, 07:15:39 am
Correct.

Michael
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: dturina on November 29, 2010, 12:25:00 pm
I don't know about you guys, but reading the article, all I can think of is that portrait of Michael holding the camera.

That medium format Pentax has absolutely the most beautiful portrait colors. Absolutely stunning. Wow.
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: John Camp on November 29, 2010, 02:47:42 pm
Not to be super pointy-headed about it, but the m4/3 sensors are 18x13.5 with an area of 243 sq mm, or little more than 28% of FF. APS-C comes in a couple different flavors, with m4/3 about 58% of the size of the APS-C used by Nikon and Sony (the Canon APS-C is a bit smaller.)

JC
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: PierreVandevenne on November 29, 2010, 04:46:38 pm
I don't know about you guys, but reading the article, all I can think of is that portrait of Michael holding the camera.
That medium format Pentax has absolutely the most beautiful portrait colors. Absolutely stunning. Wow.

Agreed. I found myself simultaneously wanting

- a lumix and a nokton
- a 645D
- to have Michael's look and poise a few years from now...


Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: douglasf13 on November 29, 2010, 04:58:23 pm
FWIW, approximate field of view and DOF equivalents would be:  25 f.95 on m4/3 = 35 f1.4 on APS-C = 50 f2 on 35mm.

And, yes, I stress approximate here!   :)
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: jimby on November 29, 2010, 06:45:42 pm
John Camp wrote:
>not to be super pointy-headed about it, but the m4/3 sensors are 18x13.5 with an area of 243 sq mm<

Actually I can out pointy-head you!  The micro 4/3 sensor may be that size, but the actual imaging area is around 17.3mm x 13mm.  The imaging area is what counts.



:)
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: Ray on November 29, 2010, 10:25:41 pm
To be ultra-super-critially pointy-headed about this, the full frame Canon DSLR sensors are 2.6x the area of their APS-C or cropped-format cameras.
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: dturina on November 30, 2010, 03:04:24 am
Quote
Agreed. I found myself simultaneously wanting

- a lumix and a nokton
- a 645D
- to have Michael's look and poise a few years from now...

I keep telling myself it's just correct exposure, good color profile and good choice of a tone curve and saturation, but man, I'm such an equipment junky I need to go to rehab, when I see a pic like that I just start drooling. :)
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: sojournerphoto on November 30, 2010, 07:42:30 am
I keep telling myself it's just correct exposure, good color profile and good choice of a tone curve and saturation, but man, I'm such an equipment junky I need to go to rehab, when I see a pic like that I just start drooling. :)

Funny isn't it. After all it's just a small jpg for the web, so you shouldn't really be able to tell. My immediate thought was M9...

Mike
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 30, 2010, 07:55:43 am
This type of super fast lenses with comparable DOF for m4/3, I believe is the way to go.
I recently had a first portrait session with my old Mamiya Universal and 6x9 negatives on TMX,
and am very very happy with the difference compared to the smaller formats I used in former times.
Though I still see a big difference I'm happy to see creative possibilities of MF coming down
into the domain of small cameras and especially in low-light situations ...
Title: Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Post by: fredjeang on December 03, 2010, 04:05:22 pm
Frankly, just by the look I would buy this lens. Does it not reminds those beutifull radioactives Takumar? If optically it is as good...