Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Ari N on November 27, 2010, 05:30:35 pm

Title: In Moon Light
Post by: Ari N on November 27, 2010, 05:30:35 pm
 These photos are night shots, taken by the light of the moon...







http://personal.inet.fi/koti/ajnousiainen/photography/english/photography.html (http://personal.inet.fi/koti/ajnousiainen/photography/english/photography.html)
Title: Re: In Moon Light
Post by: David Saffir on November 27, 2010, 07:34:48 pm
these are quite surrealistic. I wasn't quite sure what was in the foreground until I enlarged the image.

Great concept, eerie light. I think that, even though you've used the moon to light your scene, you would
not lose anything by bringing up the luminance of the entire scene. The cool blue cast will keep
your viewer keyed in to the time when the image was captured.

On the other hand, be sure to protect the delicate colors seen in the cloud banks on the horizon.

Keep working on this concept!

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critiques - get your own personal photo trainer (http://www.gurushots.com)

Title: Re: In Moon Light
Post by: RFPhotography on November 28, 2010, 11:08:15 am
Really interesting photos.  Makes me think the moon, as a light source, is much underutilised.  Also makes me think I want to try to use it more.
Title: Re: In Moon Light
Post by: popnfresh on November 29, 2010, 09:03:54 am
The lighting is very cool. You don't often see specular highlights from moonlight. Number 2 is the more interesting composition for me. But I would prefer if the foreground was less cluttered--just a few clumps of that ice in the foreground leading into that rock out in the water would have made for a stronger composition.
Title: Re: In Moon Light
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on November 29, 2010, 12:03:49 pm
Really interesting photos.  Makes me think the moon, as a light source, is much underutilised.  Also makes me think I want to try to use it more.

So say I. thank you for waking up the few braincells left over. I need to send a request somewhere for cloudless moonlit skies though. The few times I've tried it things didn't work out as planned. But then again, they seldom do.
Title: Re: In Moon Light
Post by: JBerardi on November 29, 2010, 03:14:30 pm
The light is fantastic, but the compositions don't do anything for me. I don't see any clear subject; my eye just sort of wanders to the middle, lays down and takes a long nap.
Title: Re: In Moon Light
Post by: AndrewKulin on December 01, 2010, 06:48:19 pm
I have done long exposures under the full moon and what is really interesting is if the camera is left open too long, your picture ends up looking almost as if it was taken during full daylight (not surprising when you think about it because moonlight is simply reflected sunlight).  But not quite full daylight because the sky will be somewhat darker, and there will be star trails, and cloud motion, etc.